Video Website Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by alksion, Feb 18, 2012.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I know this could fit in the web develpment category, so bear with me.

I have used Wordpress (Lol) and have dowloaded many trial flash builders like flashCMS and cannot for the love of god, find a suitable template or a great builder for event/cooperate video work I do.

I'm not trying to copy anyone, but I am in a rut! What kind of things are other professionals using to build a good video portfolio site, with price, contact page ect..?

Please let me know and any suggestions except for Wordpress are gadly excepted! ;)

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I've been using Zenfolio for my photography. They now also offer video hosting. It's 40 bucks a year or so.
    Vimeo Pro is $199/year.

3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Thank you for the input! How do you like it? Strengths vs. weaknesses?

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried neither for video, but I have been very happy with zenfolio. They have added a lot of features to it lately. Zenfolio was my proof album for wedding clients. You can block downloads, put passwords on albums or galleries, meanwhile you even can sell prints from zenfolio (most likely not of interest for you).
    For vimeo, I only have the standard account, but vimeo is solid and offers a good image quality. If you have a business, vimeo Pro isn't that expensive - cheaper than a "standard" host.

5. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Hey, but he Vimeo Pro is just like a basic website that hosts your videos. Not like something you can add your own doman to, while also adding custom pages with pricing, contact and about? Or is it?

6. WRP, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

You can embed the vimeo stuff in your site.

All of these videos on my friends production site are hosted on vimeo. http://www.newfangledstudios.com/

I use postspots for client review and paid some web developer to build some interface for my personal site for reels. I don't know jack about coding, only editing so I have no idea how he did it. I upload to my ftp, link to the file and thumbnails in my manager and all is right with the world. I think he called it a "jQuery plugin"?

7. pigbat macrumors regular

I've found embedding from a vimeo or other site is the best option for me.

8. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Looks similar to a Wordpress template. Not that I don't think it looks go, just my observation. Maybe I am just way over thinking things. Although I am just getting my foot in the door, I have three weddings lined up through May as well as two cooperate gigs. I just need to get something basic up until I can pay a developer to create something the exact way I want it.

Yeah, my best option for now more than likely.

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Perhaps if you apply the "on time, on spec, on budget" metric it might help you sort things out.

Time: how much time do you personally want to spend working with the back end of it. Do you have the expertise to do it quickly, or will it take hours of tweaking.

Spec: will it do what you want it to do? Even after spending hours and hours on it, does it fulfil your requirements.

Cost: While WordPress might be free-ish, you'll still have to arrange hosting for it, domain name etc. If this is a hobby, is it worth spending $50 per year for (for example) Zenfolio. If it's a maybe-job, will Zenfolio pay for itself with one more job? If it is a full-time career you have, $50 per year is nothing.

A personal observation: sometimes people think that because they can use a computer, they should be able to do everything on a computer themselves, but sometimes you have to let go and pay a professional. Especially if what you want to achieve is not your core-business. If it was me, I'd be spending my time developing my core competencies and chasing leads, not fine-tuning web templates.

Disclaimer: I am a poor-but-happy servant of the public. I know squat about actually running a business, but I know that I know nothing, which is important :D

10. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Good post martinX, I am actually very familiar with the basics of web design, hosting, ect.. I already have a domain and hosting, which I have purchased in the past some very nice Wordpress templates.

Problem is, wordpress just doesn't cut it really, even when buying a rather nice template. On top of that, I have noticed wordpress templates tend to load rather slow and is just more trouble than it is a blessing.

11. alksion, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I'm trying Zenfolio but it is extremely limiting and the templates are rather ugly with not a lot room for customization, I like the idea but not in practice.

Edit: The trial doesn't give you full access?

Edit 2: Thanks guys, I am using Zenfolio now!