(video) Whats going on here? - Slow navigation on some folders

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Meus Me, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Meus Me, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

Meus Me macrumors newbie

I'm having a problem here. In List view, there is a noticeable delay in navigating through certain folders. For example.

User > Downloads (it is slow opening this and slow going back to User when clicking on the back arrow).

When I change the view to Icons, this issue disappears. I thought it may have something to do with the folder sizes but I can't replicate this issue in folders that are larger than Downloads*. I've Verified Disk and Repaired Permissions on advice but that hasn't resolved it.

*Downloads is just one of the folders this affects.

Here's an example

Another showing CPU usage

http://youtu.be/E6AraFutkrE?hd=1

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

3. Meus Me thread starter macrumors newbie

Recorded a video as I thought it'd be better. I changed the thread title to be more accurate.

http://youtu.be/E6AraFutkrE?hd=1

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd begin by restarting your computer. Then try closing all non-essential apps and processes, to see if any of those might be contributing to the problem. If it still happens with other apps closed, try creating a new user account and see if you get the same issue while logged into the new account.

5. Meus Me, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

Meus Me thread starter macrumors newbie

Restarting doesn't resolve it. Indexing it doesn't resolve it either. I created a guest account and couldnt replicate the issue, although having said that being a guest account meant there wasn't much content in those folders anyway

I would like to add this doesn't happen when in Icon view, for example. It seems to be a problem when setting the folder to List view

6. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I have begun to experience similar problems. Out of curiosity, are you using an SSD?

7. Meus Me thread starter macrumors newbie

No

8. Meus Me thread starter macrumors newbie

I discovered the problem. I selected an 'Arrange' view e.g arrange by Date Modified. When selecting 'None' in that category, it seems to behave without lag.