Video_TS and Front Row/Apple TV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by arcticmonkey227, Aug 18, 2007.

1. arcticmonkey227 macrumors member

I've got a lot of videos in raw DVD format on my harddrive and would like to watch them on my TV.

Now, 1st off, how could i get video_ts folders to work w/ apple tv? i don't think it's supported

secondly, since i was thinking about getting a mini to connect to my TV anyway, is there an easier way than DVD assist to get video_ts folders to play in front row? any word on updates to front row that'll let me play these without problems?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Use handbrake to convert the Video_TS folders into mp4 files that can be played in itunes, front row, and apple tv.

3. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

i'd prefer them to stay in the video_ts format
    i've found the quality is MUCH better and I can make copies of my DVD collection in case the hard copies get scratched/destroyed

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

as far as i know there is no way to get itunes/front row/apple tv to play video_ts folders. VLC and DVD Player will play them of course

5. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

ive found this thing called DVD Assist that moves you into the DVD player when you open a video _ts folder in frontrow. But you have to add a short avi movie file into the folder for it to work.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resohjb1/Projects.html

it's a workaround and is kind of annoying, so i'm looking to see if anything is easier

6. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

so it seems like all these sites are telling people to convert to mp4 or MPEG streams. Is there anything if i just want to keep it as video_ts?

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Did you see the link I posted above, If you have Roxio Toast you can trick the computer into thinking that your VIDEO_TS folder is actually a DVD, and front row can play DVD's

8. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately it can only do one dvd at a time plus it requires me choosing which file i want to open ahead of time. I'd just like to browse through my movies in front row and pick the one i want to watch w/o all the background work

9. emac82 macrumors 6502

10. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

If you wait a couple weeks for Leopard, the updated version of Front Row in Leopard has this capability. (The new interface is basically the current AppleTV's interface, with the added DVD ability.)

Any Video_TS folders that you have stored under your Movies folder will show up in Front Row just under the Movies menu. I think you might have to stick the individual Video_TS folders in parent folders named after the movies, and then stick those under Movies – I don't really remember, but it was talked about here at the forum thread about DVD Assist.

11. ecoons macrumors member

Alias

Although I have a 12" PB G4, I assume it would work (even better) on a Mac Mini since you have the IR port. Since I have all my video_ts files all on an external, and I wanted to be able to view them under front row (I am really just setting myself up for EVENTUALLY getting a mini) I used aliases of the folders and put them in the Movies folder along with a preview.jpg (has to be named that) of the cover and you can see everything beautifully when you load up Front Row.

Now honestly, I wish there was some way of showing MORE information about the movie in Front Row, similar to the way movie rentals are shown with casts etc. and ALSO if there was a database (I was thinking something like the gracenote thing that magically knows the Audio CD you put in) that can upload all the information. I don't understand why you can just "import" DVDs the same way you can with audio CDs into iTunes without having to use SOME other program.

12. Otterkop macrumors newbie

Always VIDEO_TS folder needed to play Frontrow

VIDEO_TS is working with Leopard and Frontrow. I did however find out that it is obligatory to create always a 'VIDEO_TS' folder in which my DVD content is stored...

13. getrusty macrumors newbie

I have been trying to figure out who to get my Video_TS files to run on my apple tv. I have not seen any recent activity on this thread but thought I would see if anyone can clarify the best way to achieve this. I did not want to covert my files.

I have played these file son my macbook pro. works great... so what about the apple TV.

I just got the ATV and learning... so hopefully I dont get flamed.

14. Otterkop macrumors newbie

Apple TV rules...?

He Getrusty,

The only way I found out Apple TV is playing VIDEO_TS is by installing XBMC. See for instructions www.xbmc.org. There's a special porting voor de Apple TV available. I got it installed and it does the job ... I for sure didn't want to convert my movies because of the loss of the DVD menus etc.

I have a time-capsule 1TB available on which all my movies are stored. I guess any drive is sufficient (however, I do not believe that the USB port on the Apple TV is suitable for external hard drives). I got my TC configured to accept the guest user to read content ...

Success!!

15. getrusty macrumors newbie

Otterkop..

Cheers for the information. I was eyeing XBMC.

I have seen positive information about what XBMC has going so far. So do you have your drive on your networks somewhere? Or is it shared with a computer on your network? Just curious how that is set up.

16. Otterkop macrumors newbie

The Time Capsule is added to my wireless network as secondary router. The TC contains a disk of 1TB. To the USB port of the TC I connected a second HDD of 500 MB. In total I do have 1,5TB available. In the configuration I choose for a read-only rights for guest users. Then it is easy to add a source from XBMC (Videos, add source, choose smb or Windows).

The wireless connection are somewhat slow (of course). Therefor I changed my TC to 5Ghz (my primary router handles all 2,4 Ghz traffic).

Hope to help you out with this. If any questions, ad freely!!!

17. Patcoola macrumors member

Patcoola

isn't video_ts just mpeg2
    i've had bad luck with mpeg2 playback with audio with the quick time codec.
    the audio not playing at times, some encoders worked though.

but ya you should be able to play it with the mpeg2 codec. i think

18. Otterkop macrumors newbie

I'm sorry. When and how do you play back mpeg2? You just mention the quicktime codec. I don't connect because not using any quicktime functionality... :confused:

19. samircalviniyer macrumors newbie

Hacking your Apple TV so it CAN DO EVERYTHING That apple should have done!

As said above, you need XBMC. XBMC is very easy to get on your Apple TV (Front Row also).

Using this:
    atvusb-creator - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Simply you stick in a usb and choose the write settings stick it in your apple TV and WALA you are done. This works for the apple TV os 3 so don't think that I am talking rubbish.

Here is the website for the patchstick:
    http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

(Mac and PC)

Not a geek here is a video to help you:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNmg3eW6UA

(The menu is a bit different to the one you will have on your screen because he has the Apple TV os 2 (you have os 3 - It's newer and better)

(Don't think that this wrong if the guy says ATV FLASH, it's all the same except it cost 50$ but it has a bit more than just XBMC and Boxee (Boxee is a yahoo widget thing for the apple tv)

DON'T PRESS UPDATE WHEN YOU PUT THE USB IN YOUR APPLE TV. If you do then you have to put the usb back into the apple TV and sometimes you might need to restore the whole apple tv. BUT THE APPLE TV WILL BE OK! I have done it many times to see if the Apple TV will have any problems.

On a ending note:
    When you have used the USB you have to go to the new section which is called Launcher and press downloads. Once there you need to download Boxee and XBMC but NOT update 3.1.3 (or any other version).

It's that EASY!!

:D:apple::D:apple::D