Video_TS file question?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Squishi, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Squishi macrumors newbie

I've just downloaded DVD Imager and the instructions say to create a Video_TS
    file using iDVD. How do I go about doing this? Thanks

2. -DH macrumors 65816

DVD Imager is used for creating a disc image from a DVD-Video (or DVD data) disc. So you have to have a finished DVD to start with (or the contents of a finished DVD).

To create a DVD-Video, you can use iMovie, FCE or FCP to edit the video, then use iMovie or DVD-SP to author a DVD-Video which includes converting the edited video to MPEG-2 video file and an AIF or AC3 audio file, then compiles those two files into a specialized format (VOB) that DVD players can read.

-DH

For more info concerning "disc image," see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_image

3. Squishi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to this digital ripping. I downloaded HandBrake
    to convert some cartoons that I want to put on my iPod. The tv cartoons were made on Panasonic dvr. According to the instructions from HandBrake, it puts more wear on the drive if encoding is done from the dvd. Is this true? After more research, I read I needed to get DVD Imager. Is this true? Thanks again.

4. sreedy macrumors 6502a

If it's just for a couple of disks then I think the wear will be minimal, I have ripped about 30 discs on my iBook and that drive is still A-ok.

If you plan on doing loads then I'd rip the DVD using MacTheRipper and then encode using Handbrake. MacTheRipper is easy to use and seems to be the popular recommendation on here.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

It's becoming less and less popular. But yeah, that's the way to go right now.

6. Squishi thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there another alternative I should consider? I was looking at getting an external DVD burner.

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've heard good things about Fairmont (I think that's the name), but I've never actually tried it.