Video_TS folder into imovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by john2006wright, Oct 9, 2007.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Hello people. I hope you can help me with this. I've reached my limit of Mac knowledge. I got a DVD from a friend with video footage. I can drag the video_TS folder onto VLC and watch it, but I want to import it into imovie'08 so i can do a bit of editing. I tried handbrake (not sure if set it up correctly) but the .MP4 file would not play with quicktime or in imovie'08 as it says its not a movie file. I tried ffmpegX as well but it wouldn't let me convert into a .mov file.

Can anyone help me get this video_TS folder into imovie'08??

Thanks
    phill

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I believe the problem may be because you don't have the quicktime mpeg2 component. Do a quick google on it, I think it will allow you to convert to .mov in ffmpegx

3. bkvideography macrumors member

4. deanahaddad macrumors newbie

Help Phill!

Hi Phill,
    Did you get this working? I am VERY new to Mac (1 week) and am trying to do the same thing you were doing. Make a home video on iMovie, but I can't import my video_ts files. Did you end up purchasing quicktime Pro? Or that mpeg2 component? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Deana

5. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

download mpeg streamclip (free and very useful)
    -then go 'file-open DVD' and choose your video_ts folder,
    a popup will come up asking you what video to select(if there are more than one on the DVD)
    -then when it is open go 'file-export to quicktime'.
    In the next window change the codec to "Apple DV/DVCPRO-NTSC" or PAL if you're in a PAL country, pull the quality up to 100% and click "Make Movie"

6. deanahaddad macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, but it still doesn't work. I get this error: The Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is not installed...
    I guess I need to purchase this, right?

7. scanline macrumors newbie

Yep, just buy the mpeg2 component from the link from the mpeg streamclip website. A word of warning, I've been trying to accomplish the same thing and have been running into quality issues. Here is the thread I have going:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=679034

It works easily enough out of the box and if quality isn't a big issue for you, you'll be off to the races. I haven't tried converting the .vob's to AIC files yet which is the next thing I need to try. I am using iMovie '09 but apparently iMovie '08 suffers from the same quality robbing "feature".

8. Cmu93 macrumors member

I do this all the time. I'm a big fan of taking clips from movies and editing them together to my amusement :)

I take the VOB files and drag them into VisualHub (if you can still find it), then convert them to mp4 or dv, and then iMovie reads them no problem at all.

9. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I got it working.
    No I didn't buy any software I just used Visual Hub to convert the files, worked a treat.

Good luck

p.s. if you allow private messages on your profile you might get some tips as to where to obtain such software.