Video_TS, .iso, or .mp4??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by arcticmonkey227, Aug 23, 2007.

1. arcticmonkey227 macrumors member

i have a large collection of my DVD's on a harddrive in video_ts folders.
    I'm finding it difficult to play them as versatilely as i had hoped (doesn't really work in anything but DVD player and VLC)

Is there any benefit in me changing my collection into either .iso image files or .mp4? I would like minimal loss in quality

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

What the heck do you want to do with them besides play them in a video player?

3. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

hahah sorry i didnt explain myself
    i was looking to either use them in a front row like interface, work with an apple tv, etc.

4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

An .mp4 would be best for AppleTV, the settings according to Hand-Brake are as follows...

MP4 File with h.264 video and AAC audio,
    Average bit-rate is 2500
    With an Anamorphic Output of 853X456 (for widescreen movies)

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I heard that you can trick front row into playing other formats than it officially plays. I don't know the details, but a little searching should reveal the info of what can be done and how to do it.

6. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

i found this applet called DVD assist that tricks front row into opening video_ts folders through the DVD player. Still, looking forward, will DVD's or mp4's be the predominant format? I'd like to keep the highest quality possible, but if everyone ditches DVD for mp4, id probably follow

lastly, is there any value in keeping movies in a .iso format?

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

The highest quality will always be the original format. Reformatting will always, as a rule, reduce quality. So the actual video_ts ripped off of the dvd will be as high quality as it'll ever get. So just save everything as the direct video_ts until such time as there's some reason to re encode it into another format.

8. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

sounds reasonable... any idea when that might be?
    a few months, a few years?

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Not for at least 10 years. DVD format isn't going anywhere. In fact the ability to playback video_ts folders directly is only increasing, not decreasing.