VIDEO_TS to MPEG? PAL to NTSC?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by aidanpendragon, Jun 18, 2007.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

In the long saga of converting PAL DVDs to something I can watch both on my Mac and my N. American TV...

I need something that can convert the PAL to NTSC.

I have a valid PAL VIDEO_TS folder.

Is there any (easily & cheaply available) program than can take that and make it NTSC? I've heard Compression can - but I think it's v2 and I only have v1.

Barring that: Please recommend software that can take a VIDEO_TS and make Mpeg (-2) files out of it.

The Mpegs would let me do the following workaround:

-Convert PAL VIDEO_TS to Mpeg (or AVI, Mpeg-4, etc.)
    -Use Burn (frontend for ffmpegx?) to convert Mpegs/AVIs from a PAL file to an NTSC Mpeg-2.
    -Generate a new NTSC VIDEO_TS folder using Burn and, well, burn.

A bit convoluted to be sure, but it would work if I can get the intermediary file from the PAL VIDEO_TS. Would prefer something that can convert directly to Mpeg-2 so there's a minimum of loss in encoding/re-encoding.

ffmpegx MIGHT be able to do this - but between the elements you need to download separately, the bits that don't work without paying, and the general complexity of the thing...if I don't have good directions...

As this brainstorm just occurred to me, I haven't tested to see if Burn can directly convert a VIDEO_TS from PAL to NTSC. I know it does if you drag-and-drop AVIs/Mpegs, but not sure if it would for a folder (as opposed to discrete files).

Thanks!

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

3. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I'd always thought of that in relation to H.264 on iPods, but a quick look at Versiontracker shows promise...thanks. It is Mpeg-4 (not -2), but going from PAL might have a quality hit anyway.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Sorry, I did not notice MPEG-2 notation even though you wrote it in bold. In that case, I believe MPEG Streamclip should help. You'll need to buy QuickTime MPEG-2 component, but it should be about $20, not the end of the world.

5. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Further attempts show that Burn will NOT convert a VIDEO_TS folder from PAL to NTSC - that option only appears for AVIs/Mpeg-4s that you're converting to Mpeg-2.

6. Heath macrumors regular

Try looking into ffmpegX I'm sure it'll do all you want and more, it's just not the most user friendly software out there.

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Did you have a chance to look into to MPEG Streamclip?

8. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not yet - this is one of those projects where not putting cash into it is a factor. If I can PAL VIDEO_TS to Mpeg-4 (via Handbrake, thanks) back to NTSC Mpeg-2 (via Burn) to VIDEO_TS to DVD, that would be sufficient. Will lose a little video quality, but previous PAL AVI/Mpeg-4 to NTSC Mpeg-2/VIDEO_TS conversions (a similar quality hit?) look fine. In any case, I gather that PAL to NTSC results in a slight quality hit, anyway.

9. live4ever macrumors 6502a

MPEG2 Works is your best bet. But why don't you just buy cheap ($25-30) DVD player that converts PAL>NTSC, it'll save you a lot of time and headaches.

10. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

That looks horribly, horribly useful! Thanks! Will give it a try.