VideoCam Alternative to what's on the 2011 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ET iPhone Home, Aug 3, 2014.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have to do this video interview via webcam which is a recorded interview by the company (not live like FaceTime for example). The webcam on my MBA 2011 makes me look haggard, tired, like I never got any sleep :D (which is not the case). Is there a lens or alternative webcam I can purchase to make things look very professional and entice these recruiters?

I noticed some hi-def videos on youtube, but thought that those were professional made/edited and expensive. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It has the same effect. It's sort of grainy. I would like the recoding of this interview to look vivid and clear, but I'm not familiar with what I need to get to make it happen.

4. Ronnoco, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

How you looked at your lighting. Lack of light makes the camera turn up the gain and causes grain and washed out color.

Been a photographer all my life and lighting is everything. Try using your laptop camera in an area where you can set up good lighting on both side of your face. Also lighting of the background is important and make sure that your background is not cluttered with thing that will distract the person viewing your video.

Experiment and I think you will be surprised at the improvement in you image for your Interview. If all else fail you can get a USB camera from your local electronics retailer but you will be shock at how good you Apple camera is with good lighting.

6. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I appreciate your advice. I did a google search on this topic, and all pro-photograpers, including yourself, suggested lighting, positioned right behind the MBA or to the sides, but not behind me, and to avoid a white background and anything that could be distracting behind me. Also, to level the MBA with books underneath, slightly above my forehead to look up at the webcam and not down. I'm going to experiment on this later today. Thank you.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I did not get into the height of the camera but it is quite unflattering to have the camera below shooting from under your face height. The camera should be at least face height if not slightly higher as you read.

Color temp of the lights is also important. Using tungsten lighting only will lack blue and be quite yellow/warm in color temp. If you can get so daylight bulbs with have a higher color temp it will make colors and skin color more natural. Look for something in the 5000k range rather than household tungsten which is around 300-3200k in color temp.

Experiment and do some test videos and you will see what a difference this all makes.

Good luck

8. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I will… In an article, they do mention to stay away from florescent lighting and opt for natural lighting. I'm thinking about doing the video interview during the day adjacent to a window for more of a natural effect. If the conditions appear too dark, then I'll purchase a soft light bulb, for use in a lamp, that i'll position behind the laptop as advised by some blogs I've read. Thank you again.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would not place the light directly behind the laptop unless it was your sole light source. Placing it off to one side will give better results.

Using outdoor light can be good but be careful about mixing outdoor light and artificial as they can/will be two different color temps and the results can look a little strange.

The ideal lighting for a studio would have three light sources. The strongest light would be off to one side of the camera with the next strongest on the other side filling any shadows from the other light. Use the 3rd light to illuminate the background.

Hope it all works out.

10. abta1 macrumors 6502

Lighting is really the key here. I remember I did a skype interview for a job in a conference room where the lighting wasn't harsh but was very even around the room.

But if your appearance is really such an issue, and this might sound strange, but have you considered some minor makeup?

11. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

12. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thanks for this… is there a similar app, a free version?

----------

This does help. I still have until end of Aug. to complete this video interview (there's a deadline) so I'll be experimenting a lot with lighting and with an app someone posted about right below your post. Thanks.

----------

It doesn't sound strange…lol. I thought about it too. There's this product I researched called, No Foundation Foundation. To think, interviewing has now come to all this. This is, but a small part of technology, I don't care much for.