VideoMonkey Or Handbrake

Discussion in 'iPad' started by megathunderult, Jun 14, 2010.

1. megathunderult macrumors newbie

i have a large collection of 720p mkv video files on my mac and i am getting my iPad tomorrow (64GB+3G) so i was wondering which program would be better suited to convert the files to my ipad. i want to preserve as much of the quality as i can and also which settings on each program would allow me to do this.

2. huskerchad macrumors regular

mkv is a container; do you know what format the video is encoded with? You might be able to do a simple (lossless) re-mux with something like avidemux.

Barring that, handbrake should do the job.

3. Touchstone64 macrumors regular

I'm in the middle of 'researching' the same problem (on Windows, mind). So far avidemux looks the way to go. It remuxes when it can but I've yet to get full control of the options etc. to get exactly what I want from each source.

4. megathunderult thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i check what format the video is encoded with.

and what is 're-mux'

5. Touchstone64 macrumors regular

Google and Wikipedia are your friends :)

6. Doju macrumors 68000

I converted about 400-500GB of 720p TV shows (maybe even more) to 1024x576 using Handbrake (Beta, this allows you to add a whole folder as a source instead of adding each individual file as a source) and it worked wonderfully. Low file sizes, great, great picture. I really wish the MacBook Pros had a screen as nice as the iPad's, the IPS is a winner.

It did take awhile, though. I added them all and then just let my Mac mini (hooked up to my TV as a home theatre PC) run all week converting them.

7. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

As posted above Handbrake is pretty awesome but it is very very intense on your computer and can take a while to complete.

8. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I have only used handbrake. I've had very good results. I'm on a Mac. Wife attempted a few times on Windows with bad results.

It is slow and VERY CPU intensive. In fact it is the only time I hear my fan running when using my Macbook.

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I don't know what you consider "a while" to complete. A 90 minute takes about 10-15 minutes to rip/encode on my Macbook Pro.

10. shashwat macrumors member

Everybdy is talking abt how great the picture quality is with handbrake..can anybdy tell me what are the settings they are using?
    Cz my picture quality and sound have turned out to be terrible using handbrake..
    I have tried lot of 720p mkv files
    M a windows user..can anybody plz help....
    Thnx