VideoProc on iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PBMB, Jul 25, 2019.

1. PBMB, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019

PBMB macrumors regular

I have an iMac Core i5 3.7 GHz with a Vega 48 and I tried lately VideoProc on it. The company developing it says that it supports almost all the newer GPUs for hardware acceleration. However, in this particular iMac model it detects only the Intel HD graphics, completely ignoring the Vega 48.

Could you (iMac and iMac Pro users) please install this multi-purpose video converter and check what does it report in the hardware acceleration settings? Does it see and report correctly your GPU? The trial version has some limitations but it will let you check the settings and even do conversions of short videos.

Thanks! :)

2. kohlson macrumors 68000

Have you tried doing something video-ey while using Apps-Utilities-Activity Monitor? GPU History (essentially a rolling bar graph of GPU activity ) is Cmd+4. You should see two graphs: Intel Pro Graphics and Vega 48.

3. PBMB thread starter macrumors regular

Activity Monitor shows only the Vega 48. iStat Menus show both Intel graphics and Vega 48, if this is what you mean.

I have tried video players and I have already seen (through iStat Menus) both Intel and AMD graphics been used in video decoding through these players. However, VideoProc relies exclusively on the Intel graphics. I have done some conversions with it and I saw it using only the Intel HD graphics, in accordance to what it reports in the settings.

Therefore, despite the assertion that it supports everything from AMD Radeon HD 7700 series and up, it completely ignores the Vega 48. I am very curious to see what it does detect on iMac Pro that does not have Intel graphics. Or in any iMac for that matter.

4. kohlson macrumors 68000

Interesting. In my late-2013 15-MBP I see both graphics "engines." In FCPX, both of them do work - along with the CPU, of course, at various times.
    ActivityScreensGPUs.png

5. PBMB thread starter macrumors regular

This is why I am asking about VideoProc. From what they say in their website, one would expect that it is able to use both Intel and AMD graphics. However, in my case it uses only the Intel graphics, while as I mentioned previously there are video players using both Intel and AMD at the same time for video playback. Therefore there is no technical hurdle to this.

A possible explanation would be development based on Videotoolbox, as explained here. But I am not a developer to tell for sure.

Hence my question, how does VideoProc work in other iMac models? Does it see a discrete GPU when the iMac has one?