Videos Are Widscreen -- Finished Project Looks Bad

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I tried burning my dvd that had widescreen source material using "Best Quality" but when I tried playing it, most of the video was cut out. To make it worse, all lines were jagged.

I know why stuff was cut out but why the jaggies?

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
What resolution is your source material? If it doesn't conform to NTSC, PAL, or SECAM (depending on where you live), resampling will have occurred which would introduce pixelation.

A field dominance issue could also have a similar effect--make sure all that is in order.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I've recently found a semiautomated solution for converting files to dvd format. Will I have any problems if I use a 4:3 project using wide screen files? My goal is to have the menu 4:3 and the video letter boxed.

Also that solution I mentioned splits the audio into mpeg layer 2 audio and the video into .m2v. Does idvd deal with this?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I've recently found a semiautomated solution for converting files to dvd format. Will I have any problems if I use a 4:3 project using wide screen files? My goal is to have the menu 4:3 and the video letter boxed.
I would assume iDVD will automatically letter box the 16:9 footage if you are working in 4:3 but I don't know for sure.

Also that solution I mentioned splits the audio into mpeg layer 2 audio and the video into .m2v. Does idvd deal with this?
iDVD won't accept "outside" MPEG2 files. It will only use MPEG2 files it creates.

Lethal

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I would assume iDVD will automatically letter box the 16:9 footage if you are working in 4:3 but I don't know for sure.

iDVD won't accept "outside" MPEG2 files. It will only use MPEG2 files it creates.

Lethal
Well that sucks. How about DVD Studio Pro?