Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
My Wifi network is always used for my iPad2 and iPhone4 when I'm at home. Even though I can stream movies through my router to the TV without any problem, the iPad2 is a dismal failure even for mini-vids such as You Tube stuff. I have to keep pressing the play button every couple seconds to get through any videos.

Yet, the iPhone4 is flawless on the same system and even in the same location as the iPad2.

What's with my iPad2? Is there something interfering with video downloading and playing? It appears the download process doesn't keep up with the speed of the video. :confused:

Last edited:

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA
Weird for sure--Ipad should play them just as well as your phone. Only thing I can think of is make sure your ipad is connected to Your Wi-Fi and not somehow hooked up to next door or something?

Next I would do a restore to your Ipad--that fixes ALOT of issues

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Is there any chance magazine updates in the background might be interfering with norrmal ops? Even though I have a 32 GB iPad2 (wifi only) and only 9 GB used - I'm getting low memory crashes. I've deleted a bunch of apps and it improved for a while - no crashes since - but not the video situation.

I don't really want to do a full data restore, although if this situation doesn't improve, I guess that's the only option. Hard resets fix the crash issue for a while, but not the video lags.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Is there any chance magazine updates in the background might be interfering with norrmal ops? Even though I have a 32 GB iPad2 (wifi only) and only 9 GB used - I'm getting low memory crashes. I've deleted a bunch of apps and it improved for a while - no crashes since - but not the video situation.

I don't really want to do a full data restore, although if this situation doesn't improve, I guess that's the only option. Hard resets fix the crash issue for a while, but not the video lags.

Low memory doesn't mean you need to delete apps. It means you have a lot of apps paused in the background. Double click the home button, hold down on an icon until they jiggle and delete some of the apps out of the multitasking tray. It sounds like you have apps in the background downloading something that's causing your bandwidth to slow down.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Do you think having a lot of tabs in Safari might be a problem, too, if they are set to download in the background?

I try to keep the open apps to a minimum - trying to train myself to check frequently. It's really amazing how quickly a bunch will be in the tray even though it doesn't feel like you've done anything much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.