Videos Buffering

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kcmo, May 9, 2011.

1. kcmo macrumors member

Got my iPad 2 today and I'm loving it!

I do have a question about watching videos. I've noticed they buffer which is weird. The video will start but within a few seconds, it will stop and I have to hit the play button again to get it going. This has happened in YouYube and on cnn's site.

Anyone else noticing this? Any remedy?

TIA

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No buffeting issues here, could be your internet connection.

I have comcast high speed internet 12mb down/3mb up and an Airport Extreme Base Station, and I use my iPad on the 5GHz network.

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Most likely your Internet connection is where the bottleneck is. It's also likely that the iPad (YouTube App) is picking a level of quaility for the video that is best not suited to your availabe bandwidth. It's one of the reasons that I've started using the YouTube web app, that way I can choose between waiting for quaility and quickly watching a pixelated motion.

4. kcmo thread starter macrumors member

Would you recommend I get a new router perhaps? Mine is several years old...Netgear. It worked fine with my laptop when watching videos though...:confused:

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

6. Grubster macrumors member

There is a bug in the iPad YouTube App. It has worked like Garbage since the release of iPad 1. If you use the YouTube Web App, even on High Quality, you have no issue. Don't believe this Router\Internet speed crap (Unless of course you really have crappy internet).

7. kcmo thread starter macrumors member

Not sure about my speeds, though I can check. Never had issues with my laptop on WiFi though. I was using the iPad YouTube App that comes preinstalled. So I should rather go to YouTube via Safari is what you're saying?

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I didn't say that the Router/Internet Speed crap was an absolute, but just a form of troubleshooting the issue.

9. Grubster macrumors member

Yes, from safari, go to Youtube.com, it will reload in a mobile app version. Now, you will find at times the youtube ipad app works fine, and it is an improvement on ipad 2 over ipad 1. That being said, I had problems watching a 5 minute video that kept stopping last night, Very frustrating especially on a brand new device! Switched to the mobile app and it played with no buffering, with the HQ setting on.

10. dread macrumors 6502a

I had a similar issue and it was related to my idevices not working well with my router. idevices are very picky about their connections so you may have to assign each device a static ip or upgrade your router if your connection speeds are slow on your idevice but not on a computer. I am using the vizio hd router and it solved all of my airplay and streaming issues. It allows you to prioritize video streaming which has helped eliminate buffering issues with my ipad, iphones, and most importantly Apple TV2. It was only $60 on amazon and its a dual band router so it is quite affordable compared to apples router.

11. kcmo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I'll try this later.

Appreciate the information. I'll try the method above first and if things don't improve, I'll get a new router.