Videos converted to iPod (with QT) NO sound.

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Anyone seen this? I've been converting a bunch of videos to iPod format using Quicktime. Most work great, but I've had a couple that ended up with no sound track. The originals play fine in QT.

Any ideas?

NeoMac

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
I have had this same problem but I haven't found a fix for it. It doesn't always happen. The times that it has I was trying to convert video for use on my iPod.

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Does iSquint support the new h.264 at 640x480?

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Just did a test, and it converted to 320. Not really an option until they update to support 640.

Are there any other apps that support the new 640 ipod format? Unfortunately it looks like it wil be a while for Handbrake. I've heard that visualhub does, but I'd rather not pay for something other apps will likely soon do for free.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I've had this problem too, and have found the best way to do it is by using MPEG Streamclip + QuickTime. I have no idea the technical side of things, but it has something to do with demuxing, etc.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Not helping, but quicktime cant export MPEG1 and 2 files where the audio has been muxed :confused: into the stream, I think it means that the audio stream is integrated into the video stream and for some reason quicktime cant deal with that when exporting, I guess the files you cant exported are muxed MPEG1 files.

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Lollypop said:
Not helping, but quicktime cant export MPEG1 and 2 files where the audio has been muxed :confused: into the stream, I think it means that the audio stream is integrated into the video stream and for some reason quicktime cant deal with that when exporting, I guess the files you cant exported are muxed MPEG1 files.
That's exactly it, it turned out to be mpeg 2 muxed. Means multiplexed, which means interleaved, which means audio and video are mixed to one track instead of kept separate.

iSquint handled the file OK, but it only supports 320x240 so far. OK for stuff I just plan to watch then trash, but I guess I'll keep looking for a 640 solution. And report the bug to apple, they need to import things properly or at LEAST show an error if it's not going to work right.