Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
I filmed two videos totalling 6 and a half minutes, taking 800MB in storage. I do not take long videos, but as this was going to be only temporarily, I didn't care. This was two days ago. Fast forward to today, I delete the videos. I had 2.0 GB left before deleting. I select both videos and delete them, but no storage was freed.
As I am on iOS 6, the 'recently deleted folder on Photos doesn't exist, so the video supposedly is gone for good. I believe the video was corrupted and wasn't deleted. Anything I can do to recover that 800MB that disappeared? Restoring is not an option, as I won't update to iOS 8. Maybe the video went to the 'Other' section in iTunes and there is no way of deleting it without a restore?

Pd: This is the only problem I have had ever since 2011 with Apple products. I hate that Other category. Suffered this in every device, maybe Apple should implement a way to get rid of this useless data without having to download a tweak from Cydia, as I am not Jailbroken and will never Jailbreak.

Pd2: Sorry for the long post.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
iTunes is usually very inaccurate at actually reporting free space on iOS. Go into Settings > General > Usage and see what it says there.
The usage is 2.0GB there. I meant that generally iTunes categorizes corrupted data there, I do not plug up my iPod into iTunes at least since a year ago. But that storage disappeared when I deleted the videos.
I am clueless on what to do.

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
Have you tried rebooting the iPod? Try that and see if that works. If it doesn't you're only other option (since you don't want to restore because you don't want to update to iOS 8, although I don't really see why not, iOS 8 runs perfectly fine on the iPod touch) would be to go to settings > general > reset > erase all content and settings. It basically does the same thing as a restore without reinstalling the operating system. Make sure you make a backup before you do this, either in iTunes or in iCloud, although in most cases the corrupted data will be backed up too so your only option might be to set it up as a new iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.