Videos in iCloud

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by AngusW, Feb 27, 2015.

1. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

Ok so I've been converting some old home movies from VHS to digital backups. I've put them into my iCloud Drive Video folder, is there any way I can access and play them from my iPad or iPhone? At one point I was using Documents 5 but now videos won't play from it for me.

2. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

I think if you put the movies in your shared folder it will show on all devices. I'm not 100% sure as im still new to IOS haven't used it since 2010 lol

3. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Documents 5 should be able to play them just fine. I do this often. It just downloads them and passes them to the iOS built-in media player. The real question is, what format are these videos in. IOS has native support for mpeg4 containers with H.264 or mpeg4 video formats and AAC audio. This has kind of become the de facto standard for video. What format are your videos in?

4. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Why not put them in iCloud Photo Library?

5. AngusW thread starter macrumors 6502

AngusW

since there are home movies that were on VHS how would I do that?

----------

I used to be able to do it with no problem but now they won't play. That's why I was asking wasn't sure if an update disabled video play back.

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I use an application called Rollit. I used it primarily to get DSLR photos to my iCloud Photo Library as well as restore some photos take a while back on older iPhones that I moved to my PC. Once optimization was available with iCloud Library I decided to condense my collection. You might see if it will work for you. There are other applications like it if you don't like it for some reason.