Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
One of the many features I was looking forward to with iOS7 was the ability for videos to show up in the Photostream album. For some reason though, when I took a video it didn't show up in my Photostream like my photos normally do. Did I not understand the keynote presentation when they announced iOS7 that you could now have videos in Photostream?
Is there a setting or something I need to do to enable video sharing?

Thanks in advance.

duck33

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
One of the many features I was looking forward to with iOS7 was the ability for videos to show up in the Photostream album. For some reason though, when I took a video it didn't show up in my Photostream like my photos normally do. Did I not understand the keynote presentation when they announced iOS7 that you could now have videos in Photostream?
Is there a setting or something I need to do to enable video sharing?

Thanks in advance.

I believe you have to share your photostream for videos to show up.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I like the idea of how my photos from my iphone are automatically loaded into Aperture or iPhoto without doing anything. Is it possible for videos to do the same thing?

Maverickster

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
it is called photostream not videostream so no, I would love this too but it does not do it

That's accurate, except for the fact that they said it would in iOS7 and it doesn't. Much like the OP, I was looking forward to this as it would've meant I would never have to manually move videos to my server (which is where Photostream currently dumps). Guess not.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
That's accurate, except for the fact that they said it would in iOS7 and it doesn't. Much like the OP, I was looking forward to this as it would've meant I would never have to manually move videos to my server (which is where Photostream currently dumps). Guess not.

I think this would be cool, but that's a lot of data to be moving around. That could really affect battery life and I'm not sure the trade off is worth it. I just plug in and back my stuff up, takes 2 minutes a week. Maybe if we had the option to only select which videos were shared I'd like that.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I created a shared photostream hoping that would trigger the video to show up in iPhoto/Aperture without success. Oh well I suppose

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Seems like Photo Stream is just for pictures. No way to make videos automatically appear. Maybe once Wi-Fi AC and LTE become mainstream everywhere, Apple will allow this. Personally, I'd rather just choose the videos I want to share manually, as it would be pretty battery intensive to always upload every video I took.

Videos can be shared by creating an iCloud Stream (seems like they are phasing away from the 'Shared Photo Streams' terminology?). Videos appear to be limited to 5 minutes (maybe to save bandwidth?) but can be stored indefinitely and don't use up your iCloud storage limit.

----------

I created a shared photostream hoping that would trigger the video to show up in iPhoto/Aperture without success. Oh well I suppose
This will be probably be available in OS X Mavericks. Can anyone confirm? I noticed that when you try to share a video on iPhoto, it says it can only share photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.