videos/music through home theater system?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DanielQ, Jul 17, 2008.

1. DanielQ macrumors member

Okay, I'm going to be purchasing a home theater system in the next month or so. What I'd like to do is be easily able to connect my iphone 3G to the home theater system to listen to music and watch the videos on the ipod.

That being said, what are the best cables/docks/etc that would connect to a normal home theater system? Is there any way to increase the quality of the video for watching it on the big screen?

2. DanielQ thread starter macrumors member

3. seenett macrumors regular

Are you sure that's what you want to do? I used to have an ipod docking system connected to my home theater (and in-home distributed audio system). A few years ago it was the ideal set-up, even though the iPod video looked poor at higher resolution on TV.

Today, you should really think about Apple TV for home theater audio/video. The video is 720p - way better than an ipod. A simple non-video solution is to get a $79 reburb Airport Express and run Airtunes. I have both setups and they are great - especially with the new Remote app. I can now control BOTH devices via wifi.

4. imolaragazzo macrumors newbie

if you get a harmon/kardon receiver they have a special dock for ipod products you should check that out

5. jeniferkey macrumors member

We have one of the standard video cables (composite) from Apple. I've run cabling from where I sit on the couch, under the carpet, to our audio/video system. We've spent more time than I'd like to admit, watching videos off the iPhone through the system. I'll also hook it up to listen to music off the iphone.
    I probably could have gotten better quality with the component cable hooked to our HD tv, but I like that I can unhook the cable and show videos off the iPhone at friends' houses. Most people still have composite connections, so I went with the composite cable.
    We've been very impressed with the quality of TV shows and movies from the iphone. We also watch a lot of youtube. That quality is hit or miss, but better than nothing.
    For the cost of the cable, this has worked well for us. Oh, and this did not work through the iphone dock. The video didn't pass through.