Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegozuniga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
I have a bunch of movies that I burned from my previous Ibook to play on my new Macbook. These are generaly mpg movies but no program in my Macbook lets me open them, I have tried VLC, Flip4Mac, and Quicktime. The only message that I get is an error in VLC and it says, "main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'. VLC probably does not support this sound or video format." I can hear the sounde but no picture is displayed.

These videos used to open fine in my Ibook and new most new videos that I try to download don't work as well. Please help, I need to see a lot of these videos for a class and this is killing me.

Thanks a lot,

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Are you sure you installed the current, Intel-native Flip4Mac version, and did so correctly? Because the older PowerPC version that you might still have from your iBook will not work.

diegozuniga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Yes i am positive in installed the right one. I also installed Windows Media Player and it doesn't play them their as well.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
diegozuniga said:
Yes i am positive in installed the right one. I also installed Windows Media Player and it doesn't play them their as well.

You shouldn't install Windows Media player on any Mac, especially Intel ones.

andcraig

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
WMV3 is WMV9 which is the codec used by Windows Media Player 10.
Confusing isn't it.

Microsoft never felt like releasing the information necessary to run this on a Mac, or any other non-windows system for all i know.

I found a blog a while back where a guy compiled MPlayer with WMV3 support (i guess MS released it as part of ratifying the standard or some such, but it's not in any released software). I tried getting it to work but it would never compile properly for me.

Sorry.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
The newest flip4Mac should have done the trick, I have some wmv3 movies that won't play in vlc but play just fine in QT. mabye try to reinstall it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.