Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
anyone else having issue where videos will not play on YouTube app and internet?

Even on safari, the Apple keynote isn't playing. I can see an image, and can scroll ahead and see another image, but playback isn't working.

This is on iOS 10 iPad Air 2

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
I have this problem. No playback on YouTube, Safari. Even music will not start playing in the Music App. I can fix it by rebooting. (iPhone 6) I haven't been able to figure out what is triggering it.

Same exact symptom. I can scrub to another point in the video and frame updates, but it will not start playing. Pause/Unpause changes the icon even.

Apps I use most frequently:
Alien Blue
Newsify
Futurama: Game of Drones
Safari/Mail/stock apps

I'm wondering if a 3rd party app is causing a comedy-of-errors type scenario that sets up this failure until a reset.

I have submitted a bug report to feedback but I haven't found too many reports of this problem which leads me to believe it may be the interaction of particular apps causing it.

SRASC

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Trinidad & Tobago
Thought it was just me. I have this same issue on an iPhone 6 on iOS 10. A reboot or soft reset solves it but of course it's annoying to have to do that every couple of hours.

Don't know if this is related or not, but in my case my music 'plays' but no audio comes out. Also don't know if that inadvertently fixed the issue somewhat since the videos started playing normally again but the music still doesn't play with audio output.

Last edited:

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Yes you are correct. The music app plays the song but there is no output with mine too.

Must be some process hanging in the background or something.

Andy80

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Switzerland
So it's not just me! I keep having this issue (no sound, videos not playing) on my iphone 7 (ios 10.1). I can only fix it temporarily by rebooting or resetting (or, for some reason, changing the system language), but after a few days, it's back... and it also affects the alarm clock, which is a bit of a problem.. I already had my phone replaced, but the problem persists (and no, I did not restore from backup)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.