Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Hitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I have the Black MacBook 13.3" (which may not have anything to do with this issues). Whenever I view YouTube/QuickTime/ and most DVD's they are not full screen. Even though I set it to full screen.. it is kind of a rectangle shape (up and down) and it does give me the fulls screen look on either my 27" TV or 13.3 screen.

Here is a screenshot.. not the best picture, but gives you an idea of what I mean:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
They are full screen considering the source. DVDs are limited by their default cropping. If you used VLC, you can use the "c" key to change the cropping ratio. YouTube's max size fills to the top of the screen, leaving black pillars. The same is for QuickTime files.

TEG

The Hitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
They are full screen considering the source. DVDs are limited by their default cropping. If you used VLC, you can use the "c" key to change the cropping ratio. YouTube's max size fills to the top of the screen, leaving black pillars. The same is for QuickTime files.

TEG

Thanks, but why does YouTube go full screen on my Windows PC, but not my MacBook?

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Most YouTube videos have an aspect ratio of 4:3, while the MacBook's screen is 16:10, and your TV's screen is most likely 16:9.

If these 4:3 videos were made to fill your screen completely, they would either have to be heavily stretched or cropped.

Thanks, but why does YouTube go full screen on my Windows PC, but not my MacBook?
What aspect ratio was your PC's screen?

Masizzle

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
it's GOT to be the resolution setting on your macbook.

System Preferences > Display> 1280 x 800

Do that^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.