Videos play on AppleTV 2 but won't sync to iPad

eliehass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Some videos in my iTunes library will stream just fine to my AppleTV 2, but for some reason iTunes won't let me sync them to my iPad 2. The iPad should be able to handle any video the AppleTV 2 can handle, and more, so I can't for the life of me figure out why this would happen... Anyone have any ideas?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Some videos in my iTunes library will stream just fine to my AppleTV 2, but for some reason iTunes won't let me sync them to my iPad 2. The iPad should be able to handle any video the AppleTV 2 can handle, and more, so I can't for the life of me figure out why this would happen... Anyone have any ideas?
How were your video's encoded? All of my movies/TV shows have been encoded using the Apple TV2 preset in Handbrake (720p) and never had any issues playing on either device.

That being said, I'm going to guess that you'll need to re-encode those videos as I personally have never come across a situation where you could just change a setting on the device to fix your type of problem.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Select the video and go to advanced>create iPad version

eliehass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
But why would it play on one and not the other? They both run iOS and the iPad has more powerful hardware...

----------

How were your video's encoded? All of my movies/TV shows have been encoded using the Apple TV2 preset in Handbrake (720p) and never had any issues playing on either device.

That being said, I'm going to guess that you'll need to re-encode those videos as I personally have never come across a situation where you could just change a setting on the device to fix your type of problem.
I took mkv's and remuxed them.