Videos side-by-side in iMovie or other?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gittenlucky, Apr 16, 2010.

1. gittenlucky macrumors newbie

I have two video files that I would like to play side-by-side so I can see the differences. One is fluid flow and the other is a simulation of the fluid flow, so there is a lot of benefit to seeing them play at the same time.

I am not sure if this is possible with iMovie. I have to play two clips at the same time, as well as have a large aspect ratio.

My current approach is to make the videos the same length, play them simultaneously, and use Snapz Pro X to screen capture the videos that are playing side by side with QT.

I would also settle for playing them as picture-in-picture.

Can this be done with iMovie or another software? I think it is possible with Final Cut, but as you can imagine I don't want to pay $999 for this feature (or whatever the academic pricing is).

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can do a split screen in QuickTime.
    http://www.bobhudson.com/splitscreen/

But to actually make a lets say 1280 x 480 video out of two 640 x 480 videos, you might need a compositing software. Jashaka might be able to do that, it's a free and "unstable" compositing application.

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

4. pika2000 macrumors 68030

You can do picture-in-picture on iMovie09. Just drag a clip on top of another clip, and an option would pop up showing the pip option.

5. Cam1 macrumors newbie

Cam1

On my tutorial site, I made a video that explains how to put videos side by side in imovie 11.

http://www.imoviehowto.com/?p=117

Let me know if that works for you, and if you need any more help.

Cam1

6. Cam1 macrumors newbie

Cam1