Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
So here's an issue I've been running in to. When I shoot a video on the phone in landscape orientation, and then go back to view it, the video does not rotate to fit the screen when I rotate to landscape.

Is this a bug? It exhibits the same behavior in both the photos app and the camera app.

And no - the orientation lock is not on.

mhx

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
You have to hold the phone in widescreen format aka landscape to take landscape videos.

If you hold it in portrait mode or vertical it will take VERY VERY UGLY videos

This is another flaw of the iphone4

CaliKev

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Did you lock your phone into portrait only? I did the same thing, and then realized I had locked the phone to portrait only. To check to see if you did, press home button twice, and then swipe the bottom to the right and the lock icon will appear.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Orientation lock, 99.9% of problems concerning portrait or landscape.

Double tap home button, swipe to left. The icon to the very left

smeg36

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Apparently nobody read the op. Orientation lock wasn't on, and the video was shot in landscape. I've had this same issue, but only with a video that was emailed to me.

Guitar7272

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
One thing I've noticed is if you press record in portrait orientation before you rotate it to landscape, it will lock in portrait for the duration of the video. Rotate the phone to landscape before you start recording.

djkline

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2013
Lanscape orientation not working

I had the same problem. Reboot your iPhone and it will work. Must be a bug.

sonjdsh

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2013
I had the same problem. Reboot your iPhone and it will work. Must be a bug
yes, you are right ,you can update it.
0LiUl

Gtimberl32

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
The answer is already posted...

If you start recording in portrait then turn phone horizontally, it will continue in portrait mode, EVEN IF THE PHONE IS TURNED. When you play it back, it will play with white or black lines either side...

If u turn phone horizontally, THEN hit record, it will record in landscape mode and when played back, it will fill the screen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.