videos will play, but not synch

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sin Pad, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Sin Pad macrumors newbie

This is a somewhat wierd problem, and probably not unique to my iPad, but also to iPods and iPhones.

I was taking digital videos (Quicktime .mov format) with my Canon S95 (great little camera btw), and during my trip I was transfering some of the pictures and videos to my iPad via SD card and Apple adapter plug. All this went fine, the videos were among the pictures, all of them could be played with no problems.

At home, I transferred all the pictures and videos to my PC. I then tried to synch the best pictures and videos back to the iPad. This would not work for the videos. Error message: "was not transferred because the format can not be played on the iPad". hmmm, but I was playing the exact same videos on hte iPad before...

So I started reading about different possible .mov formats, and that only very specific ones can be played on the iPad. So maybe it could be that itunes would be so strict that it was even blocking videos that the iPad could play?

So I went to manually change the format of the videos in itunes (mediathek view, select video, make version for ipad). I could then transfer this video by drag & drop onto the iPad icon on the left. The video could then be found - obviously - on the iPad under "videos". It would play perfectly.

Now, if I want to transfer the exact same video file by having it along with some pictures in a directory that I sync via iPad/pictures/include directories and "include videos", this video would NOT be synched...

Obvisouly, I would like to keep my little videos along with my vacation pics, since it makes sense to keep these together. But itunes wouldn't let me.

Any ideas why this is the case & what I could do get around this?
    Your help is much appreciated.

2. Sin Pad thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Sin Pad thread starter macrumors newbie

push... anybody?
    or is it that I am the only one who is experiencing this problem?

4. sally456 macrumors member