ViDock 4 and Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfan74318, Dec 6, 2011.

1. macfan74318 macrumors member

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the ViDock 4 with the Thuderbolt port on a 2011 13 MacBook Pro. Also would it even be worth it in terms of Graphics performance?

Thanks,
    Macfan

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Provided drivers behave themselves, yes it is possible.

Performance boost depends on the graphics card you are attaching. It could range from minimal to night and day difference ... Just depends on what graphics card you pick, either way, it'll be better than the HD3000.

3. ET3SW macrumors member

Is this even out yet? I have done some research on them and i have still yet to find much on the thunderbolt version other then it is in development. I know the current vidock 4 supports up to macbook pro revision 4.

4. macfan74318 thread starter macrumors member

It is not out yet but I saw a good deal on a ViDock 4 and I was wondering if it would work with the 2011 13 Macbook Pro.

5. ET3SW macrumors member

I don't think the current vidock will work. According to the site it is only compaitable with MacBook Pro revision up to 4 the 2011 model is 8.

6. macfan74318 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help, I think that I am going to wait for the new version to come out.

Macfan

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

No there is currently no existing ViDock that will work although Village Instruments have announced a Thunderbolt version. Magma has a 3 slot PCIE adaptor box but it costs just under 1k. :D