View Account "The device type entered is not supported."

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sekazi, Mar 23, 2012.

1. sekazi macrumors 6502

I bought a Verizon iPad and am using it with AT&T but I was wondering if I can set it up to be able to view the account via View Account in settings instead of having to log into it every time from a web browser.

[​IMG]

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

3. sekazi thread starter macrumors 6502

AT&T micro sim. Is there a difference between AT&T sims?

I have used 3 AT&T sims in this iPad and all 3 do the same. my iPhone 4, PS Vita and a Sim gotten from AT&T.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

You need to put an activated SIM, not a new one. And change the APN. To change the APN go here on your iPad: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ going to it from your MBP will only have it go to the updates page. Anyway, click through to Custom APN, United States, AT&T. Install, it will put a homescreen link and all is done and should be working.

5. sekazi thread starter macrumors 6502

It is already activated. I have been using data for the past few days on it and I just do not like having to log into the account to view usage.

I will give that a try and let you know.

6. sekazi thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried both AT&T and it told me I was out of data which I wasn't so I removed it and installed AT&T (HSPA+) which lets me connect again but I am still unable to use View Account.

Now I get
    [​IMG]

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

What SIM are you using? When I put my 4S SIM, it always gives me that error, but I can still browse. However, I do have a blank AT&T SIM that's 4G LTE that's unactivated that doesn't work at of course. I had hoped it would, even with the APN change. Oh well.

8. sekazi thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a standard micro sim I picked up at a local AT&T. The guy just gave it to me when I asked for one.

I used my PS Vita to activate the sim since the Vita does originally come with a standard sim so I just used a adapter I had to fit the micro sim. I cancelled that account on the Vita and created a new one with the new sim. I had originally cut the PS Vita sim to a micro sim but it was a very tight fit in the iPad card holder.

After the new sim was activated with a plan I just stick it in the iPad and it works right off with no problem with the exception of the View Account not working. I have looked everywhere but I could not find a solution so I decided to post here.

Everywhere I read talks about this APN stuff like you had me try but it always seemed they were trying to use APN settings to just get connected which I never had to do.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I think what you're trying to do is logging in to a non iPad data plan through an iPad interface?

So, you activated a data plan on your PS Vita. Canceled it. Then got a 4G LTE capable SIM from AT&T and inserted it into the Vita and activated another data plan. After which, you removed that activated SIM from the PS Vita to your Verizon iPad?

If that's the case, it's probably because you don't have an iPad account. Or more probable is that AT&T is not recognizing your IMEI number that is being sent to them. They have a list of theirs and VZW has a list of theirs.

10. sekazi thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually originally tried to activate the sim I got from AT&T manually though their website with the IMEI of the iPad but it pretty much locked up the account and would not remove. This is the reason I deleted the old account with the old sim on the Vita.

When it was manually entered it wanted me to pay something like $15 for 100MB of data for 1 day or $30 for 1GB of data for 1 week. Then they had some outrageous $100 plan for 1 month of like 3GB of data.

11. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

12. sekazi thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone else have any insight on this? Has anyone got this working on their iPad?

13. PLin macrumors 6502

You won't be able to use the Verizon iPad to manage your prepaid AT&T iPad data plan, because AT&T doesn't recognize the IMEI number of the Verizon iPad.

There is a workaround, but you have to manage your plan from the website, and you'll need the IMEI number of any iPad that is officially supported by AT&T. It can be the original iPad, iPad 2, AT&T version of the new iPad, or any GSM iPad that was sold outside of the US.

Go to http://www.att.com/ipadlanding, click Get Your Pass, enter the IMEI number for a supported iPad and the ICCID number from your SIM card, and sign up for service.

There's no way to get the View Account function for AT&T to show up on a Verizon iPad.

14. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

ATT account can't be viewed on a VZW iPad but as you see it does work. You can access your ATT IPAD WEB account from the iPad and view it there. www.att.com/ipad and choose "shop now" in the "add more prepaid data" on the right side of the page. You can create or manage an account or add funds there.

15. sekazi thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright. I will just manage from the website like I have been doing. I may try Verizon when my data runs out but from recent testing with air cards lately it seems AT&T has over took them around here.