View iCloud docs from desktop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freak99, Oct 26, 2011.

1. freak99 macrumors member

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, so please forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

I want to be able to save pdf's from my email to the cloud. Goodreader seems to be a good solution as I can organize the files on icloud and access them from all of my mobile devices. However, I can't seem to figure out how to access these files from my desktop (iMac). Any suggestions?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmmm, I don't think Apple has gotten around to building a desktop / web interface to access iCloud docs yet, other than the web interface for iWork apps. I expect they'll get around to it eventually. In the meanwhile, have you looked at Dropbox? I find it's a very easy way to move files around between all my devices that pretty much "just works."

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

4. freak99 thread starter macrumors member

I've used dropbox in the past, but I was hopting to use iCloud since it seems to implement a bit better with Goodreader.

I haven't been able to figure out how to access a file manager or files stored by third party apps. Any hints?

5. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

This is not how iCloud is intended to work. It is merely a way to sync app data from one device to another (app data includes your files in the shceme of iOS). The only reason you can currently browse iWork documents online is because iWork documents are not saved "within" the Mac applications - yet. That will change.

For example, if you want to view Goodreader docs on your desktop, you'll have to install the [future] Goodreader app for the Mac.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I just manipulate files directly through the Dropbox app, without going through GoodReader. GoodReader was indispensable in the early days of ios and iPad, but now that so many apps integrate with Dropbox, I find I no longer use Goodreader much anymore.

7. freak99 thread starter macrumors member

That sounds about right. It just seems like there should be a way to manipulate files via the desktop. I guess I'll wait for a goodreader app.

Have you found something better for PDFs?

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Go to iCloud.com and click on iWork, and I was able to see all documents that I created in pages on the iPhone, and was able to upload more documents I created on my Mac, and vice versa.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't use PDF much, and what PDF I have, I just throw into iBooks.