View pdf files in browser?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wil3, Jul 5, 2010.

1. wil3 macrumors newbie

Hello. I just switched to Mac and love it. I am curious, however, about viewing pdf files in firefox instead of opening them in preview. I really liked doing this on windows with Adobe reader, and I am curious if there is a way for Preview to display pdfs in the browser as well?

If not, is adobe reader worth installing? Or is opening Preview as a separate window with the pdf still faster than the adobe reader plugin?

Thank you for any advice.

2. blunderboy macrumors 6502

You can already do this in Safari. If you want to continue using Firefox, there's a plug-in on Mozilla's website that allows you to view PDFs in the browser without installing Adobe Reader. It's always worked well for me; I've been using it for the past several months without any problems. I wouldn't recommend downloading Reader unless you have a very specific need for it; I find Reader clunky and slow, so I've never installed it on this computer. Preview's plug-in is quite fast and takes far less CPU/memory than Reader does, because it uses the PDF reading/rendering built into Mac OS X.

3. wil3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! The plugin works flawlessly!