View PDF in browser

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brock Landers, May 14, 2011.

1. Brock Landers macrumors newbie

Can someone please tell me how to view pdf files in a web browser in OS X? I would prefer Firefox, but will switch to a different browser if necessary. Downloading every pdf file I want to look at and opening it in preview is a hassle.

Thank you

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

I prefer Chrome for various reasons. In the case of PDFs, Safari seems to download files a lot more slowly.

No matter what you use, you are going to have to download the PDF (or anything else) off the server in order to view it. However, it works the same in Chrome and Safari. PDFs appear in the browser window. I don't understand what you mean about "preview."

3. Brock Landers thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean the application called Preview.

So there is no way to open a pdf in a new tab of a web browser? I do this all the time on pc's at work...

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

i don't think i have had to use the preview app to view pdfs in safari. that sounds odd to me.

but, as far as i know, safari doesn't have any tabs, so i don't think you'll get a pdf to open up that way! personally, i find safari to be slow and poorly developed compared to firefox and chrome. chrome has tabs. you ought to be able to select the option to open in a new tab if you want. i am on ipad right now, so can't confirm that. download chrome and give it a try.

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

Safari displays PDFs in the browser window by default. Works quite well.

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Fanboy much? Love Chrome but both Safari and chrome are very similar in this respect. Especially considering they are both webkit browsers
    This is true, i have never had a issue where i have had to download it.

8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

They all have tabs. Are you sure you've used Safari?

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't think of myself as a fanboy.... I use Chrome, IE, Firefox, and Safari every day. I prefer Chrome for various reasons (totally unrelated to the poster's question, so I don't want to derail the thread with them). I don't love it (flashbacks to the final stage of Portal here--no, I don't want to marry it). I prefer it.

As far as speed, I don't know any technical details about WHY, but Safari is slower to display the very same PDF files. Is this only a problem that I am having?

@acedickson
    As for the tabs, I honestly had no idea they existed! Why in the world would they be off by default? Unbelievable. I had never even thought to look in system preferences to turn them on.

Thanks for the heads-up.

10. bigjobby macrumors 65816

CMD+T to open a new tab. Its pretty much standard nowadays with all major browsers. ;)

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

LOL. I didn't know the shortcut. I am new to Macs, but even with Windows, I always press the tab icon.

I will practice my shortcuts more!

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

No problemo. On Windoze its CTRL+T.

To the OP, (I believe) Safari opens pdf web links within the browser by default. To open in a new tab, right click the link and choose the relevant option. Pretty sure Firefox can be tinkered to do the same but I'm not a frequent enough user of FF to comment.

I've had no problems with download speeds for PDFs on Safari.

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Right-click also opens the menu with the option to open the link in a new tab. Command click also does the same thing.

14. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Tabs are not turned off by default in Safari... And there are no options in System Preferences that have anything to do with Safari.

What are you talking about?