View Photos and Notes in Safari WITHOUT WIFI!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ShanePod, Oct 4, 2007.

1. ShanePod macrumors member

No im not talking about posting an image on a web-page or notes when wifi then turning off wifi and still being able to view the opened tabs...

I'm talking about "Save files literally within the URL of a bookmark, allowing you to open the bookmark in Safari on the iPhone and view high res images, text files, and PDFs easily."

all you need to do is go here http://www.insanelygreattees.com/news/?p=51 and fallow the 4 easy steps :)

2. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

This program looks wonderful, especially for saving high-definition pictures (that would be a nice option on the touch, although it could fill it up fast).

Too bad that it (or something similar) doesn't work on PCs.

(Hmmmm, I guess I own a device with a 400mhz processor that runs OS X. Does that mean I'm a Mac person now as well as a pc owner (not that PCs are great, just grew up hating the crappy old macs and round mice that they had in school).)

3. fishcube macrumors 6502

Why don't they have a PC version of this? I've tried another program but its not working for me as the txt doesn't come in all at once.

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Its actually a 533MHz processor :D

Also, I think it works on PCs as well (it can work with Safari on computers, and you can get Safari for Windows now).

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the mechanism is to convert the data of the pics/pdfs/etc to url data, this step, im not sure if available on windows right now

once its converted, iPT can sync with IE on windows too. safari is not needed.

6. kclives macrumors member

They give the perl script for downlaod - could someone not compile a Win32 .exe?

7. sepu macrumors regular

does this work on the iPod touch though ?
    thanks

8. mkstevo macrumors newbie

Certainly does .

I have used this to sync a file containing a database of remote control commands I use at work .

I'm actually hoping Apple eventually offers a 'Notes' application for iPod touch - soon please Apple .

9. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Can anyone confirm that it does work on PCs with Safari?

10. Lin macrumors member

The trick does work on Macs, as I just tested it this weekend.

HOWEVER:
    1-the conversion turns SLOW for files approaching 1MB (several minutes on a bi-G4 1GHz)
    2-the IPT is unable to handle files approaching 1MB, and it hangs Safari and the IPT :(

11. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

wow, lot of pc users on the mac forum at the moment.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I always think iPod forum should be treated differently than mac forums, since majority iPod users are pc users.

13. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

This is an amazing function. I've dropped a hi-res map of London, as well as a hi-res map of the Underground lines onto my touch, which work offline, and I can zoom in to great detail. Don't know what else I can put on there yet, but those two things alone are going to save my life.

I've had some problems getting certain file formats to work. I've found .png files just below 1MB seem to be optimal. 8-bit png files don't seem to work, unfortunately. I couldn't seem to get .gif files to work either.

14. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I don't know the situation out in London, but if it's like any other big city, I'd be really careful pulling out a iPod Touch in the middle of the city or in the subway. Looking at a map is a dead giveaway for "tourist" and "easy pickings". Not saying that you're a tourist, only that a potential thief may target you.

I learned my lesson in Paris where I was almost mugged. Lucky for me, they didn't get anything. Lucky for them they didn't get a fist in the face.

ft