View Thumbnails AND Sort by Kind in Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sewheidi, Feb 2, 2011.

1. sewheidi macrumors newbie

When looking through files, I often want to view thumbnails to see preview of my files (PDFs, AI, JPGS, etc) but I also want to sort by kind, so that if I know I am looking for a particular file type, I can see all of those at once AND see a thumbnail. I sort by kind in list view, then change to thumbnail view and it goes back to sort by name. I can't seem to find a way to change the "sort by" in the thumbnail view. Is there a way to do this? I know I could view files in Bridge, but that can be chuggy and if I just want a quick thumbnail in finder, I don't think it's a lot to ask.

Using Mac OS X 10.6.6

Thanks!
    Heidi

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click in thumbnail view and select "Keep Arranged By" to choose how you want it sorted.

3. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

in finder, push ⌘J then Arrange By-> Kind

set as defaults if you want all folders to act that way..

(edit).. Or, that ^^^^^ to.. or via the little gear icon at the top of the finder window.. or ^⌘5 .. or in finders View menu..
    take your pick :)

4. sewheidi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, yes, thanks for the tips, and I realized what I actually really want to do is to be able to do this when I am opening a file. So, I'm in Illustrator, and I go File - Open, then I have a "finder" window inside of my program and I want to see thumbnails AND sort by kind (but not have this set as default) - I cannot seem to right click in this instance of a finder window. Is there a way to do this?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not within an Open or Save dialog box. Only in normal Finder windows.

6. sewheidi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, GGJstudios for the quick reply.

That is REALLY annoying that it can't do that though...argh. If anyone knows of a workaround that would be great!