Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitzer51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
hey guys

i currently have one macbook pro hooked up to my wireless network but i forgot the password.

i want to hook up another computer, but need the password. is there a way to view the wireless network passwords.. even if it means using the terminal to go into the system?

i dont want to have to reset the whole network as it is part of our complex and they are no fun to deal with

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
As the poster above me has suggested, why don't you just log into the router to find out the password, or have you forgotten that one also? But I would be surprised if there was a way to trace down the password, it just doesn't seem all that secure. But you say that you are in a complex that uses it, are you providing the router access, or are you accessing somebody else's, if so, ask somebody else that is on it and see if you can get it from them, or simply put out an announcement that for security purposes the password will be reset soon, and this time choose something that it easier to remember.

EDIT: Or by complex do you mean that there are a series of wifi devices accessing the signal that you have?

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Wow, I stand corrected, that is a useful tool for finding your stored passwords.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.