view wifi passwords

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nitzer51, Jun 22, 2008.

1. nitzer51 macrumors newbie

hey guys

i currently have one macbook pro hooked up to my wireless network but i forgot the password.

i want to hook up another computer, but need the password. is there a way to view the wireless network passwords.. even if it means using the terminal to go into the system?

i dont want to have to reset the whole network as it is part of our complex and they are no fun to deal with

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Why not log into the router and get the wifi password?

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

As the poster above me has suggested, why don't you just log into the router to find out the password, or have you forgotten that one also? But I would be surprised if there was a way to trace down the password, it just doesn't seem all that secure. But you say that you are in a complex that uses it, are you providing the router access, or are you accessing somebody else's, if so, ask somebody else that is on it and see if you can get it from them, or simply put out an announcement that for security purposes the password will be reset soon, and this time choose something that it easier to remember.

EDIT: Or by complex do you mean that there are a series of wifi devices accessing the signal that you have?

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

It'd be stored in the Keychain Access.app (under an "Airport Network Password").

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Wow, I stand corrected, that is a useful tool for finding your stored passwords.

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea .... very cool ... THANKS!!

7. hubristol macrumors regular

hubristol

Yep :D I had to use this when I forgot my own password a while back.

8. duppa43 macrumors newbie

how do you find them on an Iphone or Ipod Touch?