Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leckie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I have an external hard drive that my partner and I will be using for our media however she runs windows. Obviously I'm making her download the third party software instead of installing driver for NTFS on my mac but my question is what is the best third party software/drivers that will let me view the drive on the windows machine or will it in fact be easier to get drivers to view NTFS?

Thanks!

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
If you only need to infrequently grab a few files from your Mac partition, this also works:

HFS Explorer:
http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html

It's free. The downside is you have to find the files you want and "extract" them (copy them) to your windows partition before you can do anything with them. However, if you just want to copy a video file over or something every once and a while without spending any money, this works well.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I have an external hard drive that my partner and I will be using for our media however she runs windows. Obviously I'm making her download the third party software instead of installing driver for NTFS on my mac but my question is what is the best third party software/drivers that will let me view the drive on the windows machine or will it in fact be easier to get drivers to view NTFS?

Thanks!

Even though you mentioned not wanting to do so, NTFS-3G and MacFUSE allow Macs to read and write NTFS volumes and doesn't cost anything. You can even use disk utility to format a drive with NTFS.

Cheers,

chazzamatazz

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Xuzhou
...Obviously I'm making her download the third party software instead of installing driver for NTFS on my mac...

Apologies for bumping an old thread. But I came across this as I am doing the opposite, as I need to read an windows formatted drive on my mac - why would you the driver for NTFS? Is there an issue with it? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.