Viewing and using Mac OS X's partition from windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frankiechan1, Feb 26, 2009.

1. frankiechan1 macrumors member

hi there is it possible to view mac's partition from windows and use it from windows as well?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If you purchase and install the PC software package called "MacDrive" then yes you can see and use Mac OS disks.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

As the above poster said, MacDrive is the best option for you, by far. Its well worth paying for, i dont know how i coped before i installed it.

4. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Alternative is an external FAT32 HDD or a simple flash drive.

5. frankiechan1 thread starter macrumors member

ok i just installed macdrive on vista n my concern is can i do this the other way aronud? so "actually using" windows partition on mac

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Since you are using Vista (whose partition will be NTFS), you can install two pieces of free Mac software called MacFUSE and the NTFS driver for it NTFS-3G to enable your Mac to write to the NTFS partition. Even without that, your Mac can read from the Vista partition, but not write to it.

There is a also a commercial program called Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X.

7. gpeden macrumors regular

I tried the Paragon product recently and it worked flawlessly for me so I purchased it when the demo expired. It also comes with a program to read Mac partitions from Windows.

Cheers!

Glen

8. johnsy macrumors 6502

if you use external hard drive on Windows side and Macfuse on Mac side make sure you eject HD while using windows and before you connect to mac side. Disconnection without ejection will cause error messages and hard drive will not connect to mac.