Viewing angle colour shift - iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tarasis, Oct 15, 2010.

1. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I got a iPhone 4 nearly a week ago (last Saturday), I noticed immediately compared to my 3GS that the screen was yellowier / muddier. I compared it to a shop iPhone 4 and the shop assistant's iPhone 4 and mine was yellower. The shop assistant thought I should get the phone replaced.

One thing I have noticed is the colours shift a surprising amount when turning the phone left & right (from straight on). So if you are using the Water droplet wallpaper, if you turn the phone to the right the wallpaper (particularly the bottom) turns a browny / yellowy colour. If you turn the phone to the left it goes a lighter bluer colour. It doesn't need to be a huge angle either maybe 15-20 degree's is enough.

Is this the case for all iPhone 4's (regardless of the screen temp's) or only those with the yellower screen temp? I didn't get to try it against the store model, awkward to get too.

I thought the iPhone 4 with the IPS screen was supposed to have better colours and contrast at viewing angles. Certainly the iPad is more like I'd expect, with the same wallpaper the bottom of the screen is slightly browner but when turning the screen either left or right the colour shifts roughly the same amount; i.e. going slightly lighter when turned in either directions but the colours are basically the same.

I'm strongly considering replacing the iPhone 4 to see if it helps but looking for other peoples thoughts. There seems to be mixed thoughts on whether the yellow screen is normal on the 32GB when the 16GB's seem to be largerly lighter. I have the green blob affect too under CFL's but that seems to only be present when taking pics of large white sources.

I should note I have a 32GB, week 39 iPhone 4

--- EDIT ----
    Celedral's photo on another thread show's what I mean about the colour shift

[​IMG]

I can see it in this photo as well from another person, though he only posted it in one direction.

[​IMG]

2. tarasis thread starter macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Do you get it on your iPhone 4? Particularly compared to your iPad?

3. maxepotter macrumors newbie

Wow looks great. I thought the iPhone 4 with the IPS screen was supposed to have better colours and contrast at viewing angles.

4. tarasis thread starter macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Same here hence the question. The iPads viewing angle is stelar, for me, and I was expecting something similar on the iPhone 4. A video a friend sent me a little earlier suggests that on a "normal" screen it works as expected.

5. everlast77 macrumors regular

Mine looks the same as the first pictures posted here. With colorshifting from side to side.

16GB week.34

//E

6. sirslaysalot macrumors member

okay this may sound really really weird, but i only get the effect mentioned if i view it tilted from the left. color remains the same when viewed while tilted from the right/top/bottom.

anyway (like most normal people), i don't use my phone while its tilted (maybe 30 degrees max) so it doesn't really bother me that much. in fact, i hadn't noticed it until op pointed it out lol