Viewing angles improved in new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KevinRightWing, Oct 25, 2008.

1. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

Just wondering if anyone could comment on whether the viewing angles on the new MBP's are better than the previous generation. I have a 2.16 C2D MBP and have always disliked the the bottom right quadrant of the screen being significantly dimmer due to a bad viewing angle because I can tilt my head to the right and it improves.

I have gone to the apple store many times and have noticed that the lower right quadrant on even models newer than mine seem to have this bad viewing angle which causes whites to be dimmer.

So how are the viewing angles on the new ones? I am trying to decide if I am going to get a 2.4 refurb or a new machine. $750 difference so it's a big decision!

2. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I bought mine the other day. It has a 9C84 (LG) display and it is phenomenal. The viewing angles are good in all directions. Definitely no yellowing at the bottom 1/3 of the display like the previous couple generations of MBPs. My display looks just like the one on the right in the pic below.

[​IMG]

3. Hydroxs macrumors regular

The viewing angel should be close beause both uses tn panels.

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

There are a lot of different technologies and qualities of TN screens. None are as good as a MVA or IPS but some are better than others.

5. manny23lakeshow macrumors newbie

I also happen to have the 9c84 (LG) screen on my new MBP and the whole screen is evenly lit. Viewing angles are fantastic. No dimming on bottom quadrant , left or right. Gorgeous screen. Returned my alu macbook 2.0 and upgraded to this. Differences are night and day.

6. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

are u sure thats possible on the TN panels
    mines pretty good but anywhere close as the IPS panel ive had on my imac

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

check that out
    let us know if u see a color change
    thanks

7. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I give up...how do I find out what display I have?

8. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the pics duffy. That really shows the contrast !

9. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Go to the Displays control panel and select the Color tab. Next select the original Display Profile (Color LCD) then select Open Profile. Scroll down to Item #13 and you should see the model.

10. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

The display isn't as good as the iMac IPS, but it is very good for a notebook display. The iMac display is beautiful even off axis. The 9C84 display looks beautiful on axis and it has a fairly wide sweet spot. You can move the display or your head and it doesn't wash out. The previous couple gens of MBP had displays (there were some that did not) that had a yellowish band at the bottom 1/3 of the display. I had a few myself. My current MBP does not exhibit this issue. I am quite happy. :D

11. manny23lakeshow macrumors newbie

Ditto, I am not saying it compares to any IPS panel, but as a laptop LCD panel, it is very good, while not exhibiting problems of the older MBP models. (having owned one with the yellow band issue) so annoying.

12. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

I think the viewing angles are worse with the cheaper TN 9C84 screen in the new MBP. Look from the bottom and the colours invert just like the awful MacBook screen. My old first gen Intel MBP had an excellent screen, must have been IPS or PVA.

Definately get the penryn refurb. Screen, speakers and keyboard are all better in the old case. Plus the screen won't fall shut on it's own! If it is that much cheaper then even better.

13. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

If this were baseball you would be batting .000 . You're entitled to your opinions, but I would have to graciously disagree with every one of your points. Having owned every generation of portable Mac since a PB G3 (Lombard) I believe that the new MBP is the best MBP revision. IMHO.

Screen = Past couple Revs of MBPs have had yellow sections in the bottom 1/3 of the screen as well as uneven/patchy backlighting. Also have the vertical column of lights issue. 9C84 has better viewing angles (poor viewing angle contributed to the yellowing issue) than the previous gens of LED backlight displays and the 9C84 displays 90% of Adobe RGB color gamut. The display is also brighter and than the older machines.

Speakers = Sound the same to me. No problems.

Keyboard = I prefer the new chicklet keys. The action is firmer and the backlighting contrasts better against the black keys.

Falling display = I use mine elevated while in bed and it never falls down. I have to tilt it past 70 degress vertical before the display begins to slowly move.

14. kasakka macrumors 65816

I've tested several new MBPs in stores using that test and yes, you can see color shifts with the MBP but it's nowhere near as bad as the Macbook. I'd say that with the MBP there are no situations where you'd be bothered by the viewing angles. It's still a shame that the panels are still 6-bit TN. Does anyone know why this seems to be the case with most laptops, considering that you can get large monitors with MVA, PVA or IPS panels for fairly reasonable prices? Is the market for people who could really use a quality panel on a laptop just too small?

15. six.four macrumors 6502

I agree with duffy.

You obviously have some extreme bias against the new MBP. You posted the exact same misinformation in the other 9c85/84 thread as well.

I also have a classic MBP (LED) sitting next my unibody MBP, and the color and brightness of the unibody is significantly superior - similar to what you see in duffys pic. Both suffer viewing angle issues - as expected from a TN panel.

Oh, and you are sorely mistaken about your panel being an IPS or PVA. It is not.