Viewing CCTV Cameras w/ IE

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IrishTiger, Apr 24, 2010.

1. IrishTiger macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I think this is the correct place to put this.... but here it goes.

I live in a sketchy area of Atlanta, and I'm a pilot so I'm gone about half the month. I had a CCTV system installed with an internet ready DVR. But, like most DVRs - I need ActiveX to be able to use it from remote locations.

Now - I have two macs, an iMac G4 PowerPC with the 17in swivel monitor, and a MBP. I normally carry the MBP to work with me, but I ordered an iPad 3G which I will be carrying from here on out.

I want to get IE with ActiveX on the iMac G4 and then uses an app such as LogMeIn on the iPad to access my DVR (through the iMac) when I'm out of town. How I do this is beyond me, and it makes it more complicated since it's not an intel based Mac.

I hope someone will be able to come up with some suggestions of programs to use that will help me out. :D

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

On an Intel Mac doing this is trivial with the free WineBottler. On a PowerPC Mac, there's no solution that's fast - most run at 1/8th or less of "native" speed, and to boot, the primary solution that filled this need (Microsoft's Virtual PC for PowerPC Macs) is no longer supported.

3. IrishTiger thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was afraid of. I bought a small Dell netbook (shhhh don't tell anyone else) just for that purpose.... but I can't stand windows, and I don't want to carry around two laptops. I was hoping to sell it.

Looks like what I'll probably end up doing is keeping that netbook, running it all the time and using LogMeIn on the iPad to view the cams that way. Crap. :cool:

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

These may help:
    Security Spy and iCam. I imagine that iCam will be available for the iPad eventually.