Viewing files on CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by toby jones, Mar 10, 2008.

1. toby jones macrumors member

I'm sure this is a dumb ass question, but here goes.

I had a friend burn some font files for me. I don't think 'font' is the right term... Some Minion Pro files. They are in an assortment of formats... TeX and some others.

Trouble is that when I put the CD into my computer I can't see the files in order to open them or copy them or whatever. The CD appears to be blank - though the info recognizes that there has been space taken up on the CD.

I put the CD into a PC (God help me) and told it to 'view all files' (with all extensions) and there they were!

How do I tell my Mac to do that??? Can't find out how to do that for the life of me.

(Stay tuned for the dumb ass questions on installing the fonts once I've found them).

Sigh.

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

when burning a CD/DVD you can select that certain files don't show up, when the disc is viewed on Windows, respectively Mac. Maybe your friend did this by accident. What program was used to burn the CD?

/Rupert

3. toby jones thread starter macrumors member

Hey. Someone (on another forum) suggested that maybe there was a problem with the disk format. In the sense that a PC could read the disk, but not a mac. I could access the files on a PC. So then... I ended up copying them onto a memory stick... And my Mac could recognise them off the memory stick ok, even though it was having trouble with the CD. So... I guess it was a formatting issue.

Now my problem is (as I expected) actually installing the files correctly. There is a whole bunch of stuff on installing Minion Pro Font Files - but the trouble is that it seems to be for people who know a hell of a lot more than me.

I got someone to help me (they knew how to use terminal enough to find the local TeX files and to install them there). Now my trouble is... I'm getting an error message (or 50) and the font isn't installing properly. Some kind of 'can't find' whatever file it is. Maybe a sys. file or something like that. Having trouble...

People told me installing Minion Pro was a fairly significant thing to do... I realize that it is actually beyond my capacity now... People are helping me... But still...

Trouble is that my Mac was something that I felt quite intimate with. Didn't know it very well... But was respectful (and tried to figure what I could) about the various things I was installing or doing. And now... People are making changes to it that I dont' understand...

Still... I'm writing a PhD thesis... And Minion Pro is a very nice font... So... What am I supposed to do???? I've wasted (more than) two full days on this already... And I still can't get the fonts to install right... So... What am I supposed to do? Surely the University must employ someone who knows who us grad students can turn to... Surely????

4. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

I don't know what you've done so far, and where the trouble is. Normally you just open up the font file and click on Install Font.

/Rupert

5. toby jones thread starter macrumors member

h\bar already defined.

> I don't know what you've done so far, and where the trouble is. Normally you just open up the font file and click on

If I wanted to install the font into my fontbook then that is how I'd go about it, yes.

I don't want to install the font into my fontbook, though, I want to install it into TeX so I can produce LaTeX produced PDF's in MinionPro.

I had an error message (about the symbol font not being found).
    Then someone told me I needed to download the MinionPro symbol font package from CTAN and install that in order to get the MinionPro font package to work.

And now I'm getting an error message about h\bar already defined.

Any guesses on what package I need to fix that one???

(Sigh).

This really is too hard for me...

6. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Not being the most experienced LaTeX user, I'm afraid, I can't you help out on this. However you might want to look at this.

Hope this helps.
    /Rupert

7. toby jones thread starter macrumors member

How to updmap

Hey. Thanks for trying to help me out :)

I have found rather a lot in the way of installing fonts online... But I'm still having trouble (this thread has morphed rather).

I'm getting these errors when I try and run PDFLaTeX (and I get no text whatsoever on my PDF MinionPro test document):

Mktexpk: don’t know how to create bitmap font for MinionPro-Regular-If-t—base 1.
    …
    pdfTeX warning: \usr\textbin\pdflatex (file MinionPro-Regular-If-t—base1): Font MinionPro-Regular-If-t-base1 at 545 not found.

I’m thinking that I haven’t updated the map correctly. So... I'm trying to do that. Instructions tell me to alter the pdftex.cfg file in the system wide tree by adding the line:

map +MinionPro.map

But when I open the pdftex.cfg file in the system wide tree it tells me not to edit that file directly - instead to alter tex/mf/web2c/updmap.cfg and then to run updmap to recreate the file.

I can surely edit the file okay with Text Editor - but I don't get an option to save it as a .cfg document.

I'm guessing that I should really alter the document in terminal. Only... I wouldn't know what I'd need to type into terminal in order to do that...

Another trouble is that (even once I've figured out how to alter the file) the instructions really seemed to want me to put the file into my local directory where the MinionPro.map is. But the pdftex.cfg file tells me not to edit the file directly and also - not to move it.

Any thoughts???

8. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

when editing with TextEdit, be sure it's plain text (Format > Make Plain Text).
    Then click Save As and uncheck the box saying If no extension is provided, use ".txt".

Finally, provide the full file name with extension (e.g. config.cfg) and click Save.

/Rupert

9. toby jones thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for that :)

I think I'll go back to my time machine backup that I saved before I started all this and have a go at a clean install.