Viewing Folders Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Firstly, can you change the colour of the blue folders, I see you can change the backgrounds but wondered if you can change folder colour.

When viewing info in say a folder of pictures, you can set the extra info underneath to show dimensions, but if I want to know if a pic is 65k or 1MB is there a permanent setting to show these in the folder with the dimensions instead of having to click info on each one?

Can I drag that folder to dock and view it as an open folder or will it just shut all the time after opening one item, Should I just use the icon on desktop instead for that view

2. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Yes. I'm sure there is a long thread about how to do this if you search the forum.

Pass.

You can.
    Your dock has a dividing line on it. Drag applications to the left side. Folders to the right. The original will stay put. Right click to change the options.

You can also "create alias" (right click) similar to creating shortcuts in windows. These can be made and put just about anywhere. I have an alias to my business stuff in the left hand menu bar in finder, which is what I need regularly.

Wheaty

3. Urusai89 macrumors newbie

To change a folder icon or two is simple enough by hand, but to change every folder would require a program capable of editing the system default.

LiteIcon seems like it could do it. I've used it in Tiger, but haven't tested it in Leopard.

**Make sure you have a good backup of files before attempting to edit system files by hand or with a program. You never know what might happen. I'll post back after I find a try it out myself in Snow Leopard 10.6.7

As for changing a few folders by hand, just find an icon you like better than the system default folders, "Get Info" on it. This can be a file, application, or other folder. Select the icon in the top left corner (you should see it highlight). Copy that (Cmd+c, or edit>copy).

Select the folder or file you wish to change the icon of, "Get Info", select the icon just as above, and paste (cmd+v or edit>paste)

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, most useful. The other thing I was trying to explain about seeing size etc was when you used to mouse over pics in windows folders it gave you info of that, but on here it's just shows the name which is already viewable under the pic before you mouse over... if that makes sense!

5. Urusai89 macrumors newbie

I don't know how important that particular functionality is for you, but unfortunately I don't see a way to do it exactly the same as it's done in Windows.

In Finder (assuming you have Snow Leopard), you can view a folder in 4 different ways, each with their own set of "View Options". Use all 4 by clicking their corresponding icons at the top of the finder window.

Icon View is what you seem to be using at the moment. This view mode allows you to see the files as icons. You can make them large enough to easily see what each file is by looking at it (Similar to Windows' Thumbnail view). In the case of pictures, it will show the picture. You can edit the background in this mode to be any picture or color you wish, and the file info displayed is only the name, extension, and picture dimensions.

List View is better for showing as much info as possible. You can edit which columns to show, and each column can be clicked on to sort in Ascending or Descending order. The most common columns are: Name, Date Modified, Size, and Kind.

Column View is better for browsing directories and organizing files. The first column is the first file or folder you select from Finder. From there, new folders' contents are displayed in the next column over. If you select a single file, such as a picture, the next column over will show a preview, the name, the size, when it was created, when it was modified, when it was last opened, and for pictures, the dimensions. Under all of that, the "More Info" button opens the "Get Info" window for that file.

Coverflow View This is basically List View, but with icons in an iTunes-like coverflow at the top. Should you view videos in this view, you can actually click "play" on the preview and watch it in coverflow.

Edit Another cool thing about Snow Leopard is Quick Look

With Quick Look turned on, I can view a folder full of pictures in List View to see all their info, and each one I click on is instantly previewed by Quick Look. The window can be made any size and moved any place on the screen. It will display text files, pictures, and even play videos automatically as you click on them.

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks again, Yes, Snow Leopard, I have tried all of those options, but don't understand the basic ease that is missing here. The guys on here have told me before you can use Preview/Quick Look etc, but it's still not what I think it could/should be?

It should be that you open a file of pics, you scroll through and that's that.

When you enlarge to full screen in Quick Look, you can't scroll through, only in the smaller size.

And in Preview, you have to physically go and grab the pics to view them in there, because it doesn't have the 'next pic' scroll on to view either when you're in a folder of pics. When you open a folder of pics and click one, it opens in Preview, why is there no option on there to move to next pic? That would make sense right?

Now this is page 1 stuff on a PC, you open a folder you scroll through pics, with the arrow, you don't have to press Quick Look/Preview/List View/Column etc... and Cover flow is too small on a 13"MBP too and uncontrollable for me.

Why, when I'm in Full Screen in Quick Look, will it give me the 'You can't do that on here' noise, but will scroll on in the tiny viewer.

Why can't I open a folder of pics and scroll through them without having to set it up with this and that and that? It's not Ease of use when it comes to that on here, sorry guys... Nothing surprised me more on the Mac than this lack of simpleness, Here's a folder of pics, open it, scroll through, enlarge, shows me what size it is. I'm seriously missing something here or this does not have that capability? There are so many options to view on here but none of them are the most simple basic form.

And more importantly, when I typed this out the first time and clicked Submit Reply, it was lost because this keeps logging me out after 4 minutes!! :cool:

7. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

There are several ways of scrolling through pics on the mac, either using, finder, cover flow in finder, preview or quick look. I switched with XP, and I was fed up with how useless it was at viewing pictures quickly, or selecting a batch just to do a quick scroll through and delete / rotate the ones I needed to.

As for displaying the file sizes, yes I agree it seems silly its not there, particularly as you get a permanent "available space". However is you quick look (space bar) on a folder it will give you the size, and you can still use the navigation keys to move around, look in it etc.

Personally I dont think there is a "Right View" for files on wither the Mac or Windows, but a choice which you can change depending what your looking for
    and how its best for you to find it. I was forever having to change in windows to get to where I wanted, but with the mac you have a few more options at your finger tips with only a key press or click, without having to keep changing the view.

Wheaty

Ps; as for logging out after 4 minutes, is that how you have it set up in your profile? or maybe your network connection dropped while typing?

8. Urusai89 macrumors newbie

For viewing an entire folder of pictures quickly, I don't use preview.app

I downloaded JustLooking. It is a photo viewer that not only allows you to scroll through every picture in a folder, it also plays animated .gifs

Going full screen doesn't exactly show you the size of the picture either. The dimensions are the best bet since most photo viewers will size it to fit the screen when viewing. I use finder's column view most when looking for files, and each one I click on gives me all the info in the next column.

JustLooking also has an option to "show in finder", which helps. Simply scroll through to the one you want in the viewer, click the button, and the file is selected in finder for you.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Don't get why it won't scroll in Quick Look when it's full screen? Can't be right.. Looked in profile for staying logged in, can't see it.

Not having a great 'i' day, nightmare trying to sync iPhone and it's messed it all up,

Thanks for that, I'll check that out... I know you do have the actual size thing too, but that does baffle me

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It does for me. But, "full screen" mode doesn't expand the Quick Look window to the whole screen. It just hides whatever is behind it.

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Weird, doesn't work for me, I get that 'sound' and nothing happens

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Go here and get this file

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.QuickLookDaemon.plist

Move file to Desktop
    Restart

Now try QuickLook