Viewing full site version on all devices

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by largefarrva, May 12, 2015.

1. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

On my iPhone I rarely ever like mobile versions of websites, especially forums. This is one of those sites that I would like it if there was a setting somewhere that I could enable that would always display the full website on all of my devices. I know there is a hyperlink at the bottom of the page to click on to display the full site, but it's picky at times. It'll display the full site for a couple days sometimes and then there's times where it will display the full site for only a couple of minutes before it displays the mobile version. I also know about clicking on the address bar on my phone and then clicking above it to ask for the full site....but it's even more unreliable than the hyperlink at the bottom.

Is there a setting I'm missing or is it just not possible to always display the full site?

2. 960design macrumors 68000

Nope, you've got it. Responsive design, when done well is amazing, when done poorly... well just sucks.

The site code will look at the display size and render based on that. The click a link to override media queries is a simple way to handle this.

Site owners could also add a more permanent setting under the user profile, but it is rarely implemented this way. They could also add in a few lines of localStorage to save the settings 'forever' on the device.

3. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sucks we don't have the ability to keep the same viewing preference. This issue is getting worse day by day. It used to stay in the desktop view for at least a couple days. Nowadays it's switching back to mobile view each time I come here anymore.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Please note that our move to new forum software is close.

So, the current movile theme will soon be a thing of the past and we will have lots of new challenges!

B