Viewing hard drive contents on faulty imac ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by willfranklin197, Oct 6, 2011.

1. willfranklin197 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, could someone please help me.

I bought a faulty mid 2007 imac (model A1224) which powers up but only show a black screen. I would like to see what if any programs are on the the faulty imac's hard drive. Is there any way of doing that ? ( the imac definitely has a hard drive because i opened it up)

I tried connecting the faulty imac to my mac mini ( model A1176) via firewire and using target mode on my mac mini, however, I can only get to the stage where there is grey background with the large firewire symbol moving around the screen.

Does anyone know what i have to do next to get beyond the grey background and firewire symbol ? Do i have to get screen sharing enabled ? How would i do that when i can't get beyond the black screen on the faulty 2007 imac ?

Any advice and input would be greatly appreciate

Regards

Will

Ps. I've tried connecting the faulty imac to an external screen to no avail

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If you have access to another Mac you can start up the broken machine in Target Disk Mode. Here are Apple's instructions for doing so:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

That would be the most straight forward and most simple way. Other than that you will have to remove the HD and put it into an enclosure.