Viewing images

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marciohumpris, Feb 13, 2011.

1. marciohumpris macrumors member

Hi,

ive done some searches in this great forum and got some tips of tools such as Cocoa view (Crashes all the time) and Xsee (seems ok, although not sure if it will expire).

The thing is, viewing images such as screen shots on the desktop with iPhoto is a bit annoying, as it imports each image and I cant hit space or arrow key to see all images in 1 same directory. The finder is nice, but the preview is too small for me.

So all i want is a good image viewer, where if I open an image in a certain directory I can, continue viewing all images (preview) in that same directory easily hitting space bar ou arrow key...

Any tips?

Xsee seems ok. How can I associate it with all image types?

Thanks.

2. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

iPhoto is not for viewing images, it is for organizing photos. There are two ways that came on your Mac to easily view any image. If you want to just have a quick look at a screen shot that is on your desktop just highlight it and hit the space bar, you can then use the arrow keys to scroll any others on the desk top. This will also work inside a folder the same way.
    Preview that came on your mac is perfect for viewing a whole folder of images, but not like you are use to on a Windows machine. Preview can be used for much more than just a quick glance at an image file when you get out of the habit using it like on a windows machine. To open up the power of "Preview" I keep it on the dock so it is handy all the time (doesn't have to be open and running). Select the group of files you want to see or just drag the whole folder to the dock and drop on Preview. Preview will open with all the images in a side bar and some buttons will appear on the bottom right. One of these buttons is "Contact Sheet" when you click on it a Slider will appear and you can adjust the size of the thumbnails. By dropping multiple files on Preview you can now do Batch operations too, like Adjust the size or flip and rotate. You can easily Crop images and do Color Adjusts in Preview as well. I also use Preview to "Annotate" screen shots by adding boxes, circles, arrows and text when I need to. I try to use the features that came on my Mac when possible. I believe they were designed to work well together and I don't need to run a lot of 3rd party software to try and force my Mac to act like Windows machine.
    Don't forget that "Quick Look" also works well for browsing all kinds of files (images,movies, music, PDF, text and etc).

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I never had much luck with Xee tbh.
    In the end I have just taken to selecting all the images in any given folder first and opening them with preview.
    It`s a pain, especially when MS picture viewer lets you view all images by default.
    Hopefully someone else has a better solution...

4. marciohumpris thread starter macrumors member

5. marciohumpris thread starter macrumors member

Guys,

Images I download are auto associated with iPhoto. How do I associate the images file suffixes with PREVIEW?

Thanks

6. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

When you right click the file and select open with what is the default option? I bet its iphoto. you should be able to select preview instead. If that's the case you need to change your default by selecting an example of whatever file type your working with then use the shortcut command i to get the info on the file. Then under open with select preview from the list and click the button to change all. You should be set to go.

7. whyzdom macrumors regular

Preview works well for what you seem to want.

8. marciohumpris thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot, eternlgladiator. Its like Windows, I see I can open with other program and mark to always use it.

Where can I set association for all image types to use Preview?

Thanks.

9. marciohumpris thread starter macrumors member

Hi, everyone

I see you explained how to change file associations right clicking on a certain file and choosing to change all.

But where on the mac can I see all file associations and which programs they execute?

for example to set all image types (jpg, png, etc) to use preview?

Thanks

10. marciohumpris thread starter macrumors member

Also interesting, if I double click an image associated with preview, I cant scroll through other images, I have to hit space on top of image, then I can view other images in same folder by clicking on down arrow...

tks

11. Tommy06 macrumors newbie

How about "Fax Viewer" or "Faststone" they were have a good reputation in these area.
    Or some simple useful tool? Just like" jquery based image viewer " etc.
    There were millions of them .You can find it by google .
    I'm sure you will find someone which you really want.

12. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Preview can be used for much more than just a quick glance at an image file when you get out of the habit using it like on a windows machine. To open up the power of Preview I keep it on the dock so it is handy all the time (doesn't have to be open and running). Select the group of files you want to see or just drag the whole folder to the dock and drop on Preview. Preview will open with all the images in a side bar and some buttons will appear on the bottom right. One of these buttons is "Contact Sheet" when you click on it a Slider will appear and you can adjust the size of the thumbnails. By dropping multiple files on Preview you can now do Batch operations too, like Adjust the size or flip and rotate. You can easily Crop images and do Color Adjusts in Preview as well. I also use Preview to "Annotate" screen shots by adding boxes, circles, arrows and text when I need to. I try to use the features that came on my Mac when possible. I believe they were designed to work well together and I don't need to run a lot of 3rd party software to try and force my Mac to act like Windows machine.

13. dgitalchaos macrumors member

14. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I use Preview that comes with the mac for Screen shots and it works perfect, definitely try to make that your default.

15. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Surprised no one has mentioned using Coverflow in Finder.

Navigate to the folder of pictures in a Finder window and click on the button at the top of the Finder window that looks like a black square with two horizontal lines to the left & right of the square. Then resize the window and frames to your desired size.

16. Cantisama macrumors member

I use Xee, it works well, made all image formats default to open with it and changed the keyboard settings to that arrow keys navigated between images in a folder rather than pan (I think the default for changing to the next image was command+arrow).

17. marciohumpris thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, everyone!

That tip on coverflow made my day, I like it but didnt know how to maximize it :)

18. marciohumpris thread starter macrumors member

Hi, everyone

Just 1 question remained :)

I see you explained how to change file associations right clicking on a certain file and choosing to change all.

But where on the mac can I see all file associations and which programs they execute?

Regards