Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackryan57

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I did a quick search but came up empty, not sure I know how to word what I am looking for properly.

Is there a way to view my iphone and what I am doing on it through a PC? I have a demonstration to give and I want to show the class what can be done on the iphone - I want to show it through the PC projector.

Thanks in advance!

jmann

macrumors 604
I did a quick search but came up empty, not sure I know how to word what I am looking for properly.

Is there a way to view my iphone and what I am doing on it through a PC? I have a demonstration to give and I want to show the class what can be done on the iphone - I want to show it through the PC projector.

Thanks in advance!

Your phone has to be jailbroken, then you have to download Veency through cydia, and download a vnc client on the windows computer.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Download TightVNC on your Computer.
Once that is done, Go to Cydia on your Springboard and tap "search" Search for Veency and download it. You won't notice anything different after you download it on your phone. Open up TightVNC on your computer and Then Navigate to the Wi-Fi option in Settings. Settings>Wi-Fi>Click the Blue”>” to display your iPhone’s IP Address. Type this IP address into TightVNC and your done.:)
2ikot2.jpg

jackryan57

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Download TightVNC on your Computer.
Once that is done, Go to Cydia on your Springboard and tap "search" Search for Veency and download it. You won't notice anything different after you download it on your phone. Open up TightVNC on your computer and Then Navigate to the Wi-Fi option in Settings. Settings>Wi-Fi>Click the Blue”>” to display your iPhone’s IP Address. Type this IP address into TightVNC and your done.:)
2ikot2.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys. I have it up and running. I love this site. I hope there is wi-fi where I am teaching the class. Do you guys know if there is an app to accomplish the same thing using the USB sync cable????

Jess.H

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2009
Lots of great information, thanks a lot. It's so easy to miss things like this with so much information available.
2.gif

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Awesome! Thanks for the help guys. I have it up and running. I love this site. I hope there is wi-fi where I am teaching the class. Do you guys know if there is an app to accomplish the same thing using the USB sync cable????

You can use Veency with a cable or without. No need for Wi-Fi

jackryan57

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
actually i am pretty sure that veency is similar to ssh where it needs an ip address in order to communicate with the device. you don't necessarily need wifi if you have a mac book, you can create and ad-hoc network and use that.

I'm trying to connect to my iphone over the USB cable (not wifi) and it isn't happening. I am on a windows XP box - not sure how to tell it to connect to my iphone...any thoughts??

willylim

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
Veency can work without wifi *It's easier than you think!*

I'm trying to connect to my iphone over the USB cable (not wifi) and it isn't happening. I am on a windows XP box - not sure how to tell it to connect to my iphone...any thoughts??

I was installing veency and RealVNC for the first time and discovered....
if you use internet tethering, you have a Wifi IP (???!!!)

I'm not sure if it is a default IP for internet tethering but it shows up in my Springboard as a Wi-Fi IP address of 192.168.20.1 (even though I'm connected via 3G thru internet tethering)

Just enter that IP into the server field of VNC viewer and Voila!
Check out the screenshot of SpringBoard I have attached, take note: wifi is off but there is still a wifi ip address at the bottom :)

Attachments

• veency without wifi.jpg
    veency without wifi.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 123

neohito

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
a bit too late

You can do it through usb using itunnel.exe and modify the shortcut to use the 5900 port eg in the .bat file = "iTunnel.exe 5900 5900"

and in the vnc client you can just type in the local/loopback ip, 127.0.0.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.