All iPads Viewing Low Res Videos

Discussion in 'iPad' started by guitarduderules, Aug 9, 2013.

1. guitarduderules macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2013
    I am buying an ipad soon and have a question about video resolution. I watch a lot of youtube videos that are low resolution(360p). I was wondering if these videos will look better on the mini or regular ipad screen after being scaled to the screen resolution? I have been borrowing a mini and the 360p videos look fine but I'd prefer a retina screen on the regular iPad so long as 360p videos don't look any worse than on the mini. Thanks for the input.
  2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    You'd have to view them yourself to determine if you'd find them acceptable. It's a given that a low res video scaled to a larger screen is going to appear worse than the same video scaled to a smaller screen.
  3. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2013
    Low res YouTube videos look worse on the iPad 4, and MUCH worse on a MacBook Pro with Retina. People are demanding a Retina Mini, but you have to be careful what you wish for. I have full length movies that are between 500MB and 700MB that look fine on my Mini, and awful on my iPad 4. That means HD movies for a Retina Mini, and requires more storage capacity.