Viewing MacBook on TV Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bldmn, Oct 9, 2011.

1. bldmn macrumors member

I do apologize if the answer to my question is in this forum somewhere... I looked but couldn't find a solution:

I have hooked my MacBook up to my flat screen TV. It works well, but there's a lot of wasted real estate. Is getting the MacBook screen to fit the entire 32 inches of TV screen something governed by the TV settings, or should I be adjusting something on the computer?

Many thanks in advance.
    -Bill

2. bldmn thread starter macrumors member

Oh... I have "Mirror Displays" checked, because if it's unchecked I can't see anything on the TV screen. Is there an online tutorial for attaching a MacBook to a TV that will take me through this?

-Bill

3. simsaladimbamba

What do you mean, you can't see nothing when "Mirror Displays" is unchecked? Is the TV black then or showing the "No signal" sign?

What adapter do you use to connect to what TV?

I don't know about a tutorial, as there are many TVs out there, thus there may be many tutorials. Have you not found anything via www search?

4. bldmn thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I meant that the TV isn't showing what I'm looking at on my computer. When I uncheck "Mirror Displays", I see my "VGA Display" with the various resolutions on my TV, while the MacBook screen is showing my Display arrangement. When I move the arrow off the right side of my MacBook screen, it appears on the left side of my TV screen.

Whether I choose to mirror displays or not, the TV never makes use of several inches of screen on the sides.

I'm suspecting that getting the full use of my TV screen (32" Toshiba) must be an issue for the TV, not for the MacBook. I'll see if I can dig up a manual.

Many thanks for your help.
    -Bill