Viewing magazines on ipad 2 from pdf source

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by pchan87, Aug 7, 2011.

1. pchan87 macrumors newbie

ok so I've downloaded calibre and Ibooks and I've downloaded a magazine eg. Popular Mechanics. in pdf format

I convert the pdf into a epub and then place it onto the books section in itunes. I open it up in ibooks but the epub format doesn't fit the whole screen and ends up looking like this

[​IMG]

I try to zoom in but no luck. As you can see the print is hard to read, I have to double tap the page then zoom in but the print and everything else gets too blurry/distorted to read.

I then put the pdf file of popular mechanics into the Ibooks and opened it. I'm able to zoom in without distortion but it does lag for a bit before the print refocuses.

My question is is there a way to have the turning pages ability of the epub format but the print quality. zoom in ability and the full screen display of the pdf format?

I also read that the other ibooks version had less lag? if this is true is there anyway to download the older version and use it?

thanks

2. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

CloudReader works quite well. But it's not going to be the best experience as those magazines are just scans of the paper copies. If you want it to work flawlessly you'll have to buy the actual iPad edition.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Why are you bothering to convert to ePub? IBooks can read PDF just fine. Simply drag and drop from the folder on the computer to your iDevice via iTunes.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I concur. If they are PDF to begin with, just leave them like that and sync them to iBooks.

5. pchan87 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh ok that makes sense. thanks

I was trying to see if I could get it to turn pages and the other good stuff that ibooks can do.

I'll give that a try but as stated above I think it wouldn't improve much. Maybe it'll focus faster than ibooks . thanks

yeah I was just seeing if epub format would offer anything different than pdf

6. pchan87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried goodreader and i like it for the most part, it has a lot of functions but the zoom refocus is still better in ibooks or my eyes could be playing tricks on me.

7. on1zuka macrumors newbie

just use goodreader to read pdf file, it works smooth, no lag at all,
    rather than read on ibooks, (my ibook seem laggy to read big pdf file)