Viewing MP4s

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wicked23, Jul 8, 2012.

1. wicked23 macrumors member

What is the best free application for viewing MP4 files on a mac? I downloaded a free version of Divx but it said I needed some additional Quicktime components??
    Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

QuickTime Player can play back .mp4 files, as .mp4 files use H.264 or some MPEG-4 variant as codec. You might take a look at Perian, which offers additional playback capabilities for QT Player, or if you are interested in standalone players, take a look at VLC Player or Movist.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

quicktime player, vlc player, mplayerx to name a few

4. wicked23 thread starter macrumors member

Got it! Thanks! I finally got Quicktime Player to work correctly!

5. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I'm glad that you got it working, but I am curious about your MP4 files. Was their file extensions .mp4 or something else like .avi?

QuickTime can playback most .mp4s file except some of the highest profile ones, so I'm curious about the files giving you problems. Perian is great but it might be discontinued soon, some I am wondering about the inherent defects of QuickTime X.

6. wicked23 thread starter macrumors member

It was .mp4 converted in Handbrake. After trying to open the same file on another Mac I realized the file itself was corrupted so I re-converted it in Handbrake and everything seems to work fine now.