Viewing MS Office Doc's

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Naim135, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Naim135 macrumors member

I have a user who uses an iPad and also iMac and MacBook Pro, on their iPad they can view attached MS office Doc's and PDF's etc with built in convertors I was wondering if it would be possible for the same in native OS X i.e without having to install office or equivalent as the user only views the attachments

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is preview button in Mail I think, have you tried that? PDFs can be viewed in Preview app.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can view Excel and Word documents in Google Docs. You can also use Quick Look to view some Word and Excel formats.

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you'll need openoffice(or neopffice), iWork, or msoffice to preview office documents. I'm sure there are more options as well.

Edit: google dogs is also a good one, I use it everyday, I don't know why I didn't think of that. However, you may lose some formatting and charts with it.

5. Naim135 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the posts. Am I right in thinking in IOS the document is converted to a PDF before it is displayed, if so does anyone know if a similar option is available in OS X? I don't want to have to install any sort of Office if poss.