Viewing my Macbook Pro on a HDTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xxbabysalasxx, Feb 10, 2009.

1. xxbabysalasxx macrumors newbie

i tried viewing my pics, videos, ect... on my 52inch sony hdtv but for some reason my desktop pic appears on the tv but no icons, sounds, or cursor. Im using an hdmi-Dvi cable and a/v cable for sound. Thanks

2. djjclark macrumors regular

Were you attempting to mirror or using the TV as an additional monitor?

3. xxbabysalasxx thread starter macrumors newbie

umm.... im not sure what the difference is but i wanted to watch movies from macbook on the tv. So would that be as a monitor or mirror? Im new to this kind of connection.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

This is the Mac Pro forums so maybe you will get moved to the right forums.

Anyways you are viewing your TV as a spanned desktop, meaning you can just drag your video window to the Sony TV. You can watch full screen on the TV while you do other things on the MBP's screen.

I can't remember which video player will do that but I think VLC allows you watch full screen video on one screen(the external) while not making the other screen(MBP screen) black.

Go to System Preferences and then to Displays. If you want your dock and menubar on your Sony TV, move(click and drag) the menubar in the little diagram to the other. You can also check the "Mirror display" to make the Sony TV view what's on your MBP's screen.

5. djjclark macrumors regular

Mirror means that the computer monitor and the tv monitor are showing the exact same thing at the same resolution - this can make for some weird looking pictures if the 2 monitors dont support each others native resolutions.

Spanning is where the 2 monitors become your total desktop and can be of different resolutions. The monitor control panel lets you adjust these settings. It does sound like your spanning and just need to drag your application window to the monitor you want to see it on, but I would try mirroring if you are trying to play dvd/video material.